sliders timer prop

From my perspective they are both roughly equal amounts of effort.

Yes, they are...

There are 9 seven segment displays, that is 63 channels right there to control... And there is another 20+ LEDs left to control, and a few buttons...

In the end you have to design a circuit and code that has independent control of almost 100 channels to do this right...

And trust me, he's not kidding about the few square inches of space, the inside of thermals timer is small small small

Even smaller once you place the obligatory 9 seven segment displays in there, and a power source...

Yes, they are...

There are 9 seven segment displays, that is 63 channels right there to control... And there is another 20+ LEDs left to control, and a few buttons...

In the end you have to design a circuit and code that has independent control of almost 100 channels to do this right...

Even smaller once you place the obligatory 9 seven segment displays in there, and a power source...

That really depends on the trade offs that you're willing to live with. If you're willing to mux the outputs at 14x8, that's assuming you tie two segments together, then you're really only talking about 22 channels. That would require the least amount of work if you're willing to live with a slight flicker. The flicker can be minimized with a high enough refresh rate.

then you're really only talking about 22 channels.

No, you are then using 22 outputs and PoV to control the 100+ channels, you still need to control the same number of channels you just reduced the number of output lines used to accomplish the control...

No, you are then using 22 outputs and PoV to control the 100+ channels, you still need to control the same number of channels you just reduced the number of output lines used to accomplish the control...

I think that's just arguing semantics. To me channel does not mean LED segment.

I seriously think it shouldn't be too hard to fit a pair of A6276 surface mount drivers and a small uC into the prop. I could design a simple circuit and write the code just to have something out there as a starting point.

I think that's just arguing semantics. To me channel does not mean LED segment.

I seriously think it shouldn't be too hard to fit a pair of A6276 surface mount drivers and a small uC into the prop. I could design a simple circuit and write the code just to have something out there as a starting point.

Then do it! :lol

This is a pretty roughed out circuit. Since I'm working on a driver for another project that has muxed outputs I made the LED driver fairly generic. It's not tested and I haven't added the in circuit programming, yet, but I think it might be a starting point. The whole driver circuit should fit on a board around 2.5"x1.25".

I made a sample of how the time display might hook up. It should be possible to rewrite the code to work with any LED setup. The other sections of the display shouldn't be too hard to do. The A6276 can sink more current to ground than to power so the displays will have to be common cathode to keep from burning the driver out.

I'm just making a guess about the wiring. I have a fairly large collection of LED displays but I don't have one that is a dual display with no decimal point like I've seen in photos of the original prop so I just used some standard ones. I can change the schematic if someone has a more accurate part number.

hey, thats great man quite a start for the original and egyptian timer now if only i can find a way to link the bargraphs to the circuits and add the buttons and we will be set, then all we need to do is get it programed

hey, thats great man quite a start for the original and egyptian timer now if only i can find a way to link the bargraphs to the circuits and add the buttons and we will be set, then all we need to do is get it programed

Bar graphs and extra lights would go on the other cathode connections and be really easy to set up. It should be possible to build all of the timers with a single circuit with slight modifications to the wiring and code.

I've rummaged through my part boxes to get something breadboarded up. Once I have a test circuit I will most likely have to make changes to the circuit diagrams. Once I have something solid I will post more details.

I think what exoray was saying was that you reduced the number of physical connections, which is good for saving space, but the complexity is then shifted into the programming side. Having the chip deal with muxing as well as display makes a lot more of the design non-physical which can sometimes take longer to bug-check than a wire job.

hey guys, sorry i been out of touch. just recently got back from iraq though and just decided to go through and see who all has been posting, and i am surprised to see that it has caught alot of interest. so far i havent made any advancements and i havent been in touch with my contact that was working on the original timer. well i gotta go for now keep it up and hopefully we can get one up and runnin.

Bar graphs and extra lights would go on the other cathode connections and be really easy to set up. It should be possible to build all of the timers with a single circuit with slight modifications to the wiring and code.

I've rummaged through my part boxes to get something breadboarded up. Once I have a test circuit I will most likely have to make changes to the circuit diagrams. Once I have something solid I will post more details.

I read about a technique called Charlieplexing for driving a number of LEDs from a small number of IC pins. Wikipedia has info, and Googling is your friend as always.

Guys, We all know it can be done! I made 20 of them 18 years ago!:love The guy that made my boards used 2 processors for each timer.:cool Exoray is correct about the what he has been saying. But anyway, exoray I hope you get the boards done soon! I still have a few Slider timers kits….:love

standinman :lol

But anyway, exoray I hope you get the boards done soon! I still have a few Slider timers kits….:love

Mark my words you will get a kit, it's just a matter of time... Sorry about the delays but time has been so damn short for me this last year or two, hardly time to sleep let alone play with projects...

Hi all! Wow it's been a while since I was here. I popped on to check on Timer progress after someone asked for my screen accurate display notes and just look at what's happening. :cool

Thermal, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you on those Timer kits I wanted. I got a sudden rush of work in my direction. Ah well, I guess working with Daleks and Timelords has it's advantages, hehe.

I love it when someone on a forum starts an argument about details no one else can understand, lol. Although if jgage thinks he has a better way of doing the electronics then why not do it, share it with us fans who've been waiting for 14 years and be hailed as a god...because whoever is the first to share screen accurate designs with the Timer community would be remembered as just that! :thumbsup

I hate to bring up the Sliders Timer threads again but any progress by anyone in getting the electronic kits, scarabs, or anything else?

Thanks!

They guy selling the Egyptian timer on Ebay also makes the original timer. He was once on my myspace page but I don't think he uses it anymore I have to check.

Yea, he still checks his myspace, great guy, I own 2 of his Egyptian timers, great work, his original timers are pricy, but look incredible, not sure if he still makes them though

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back