Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

So I'm finally getting around to ordering some of the stuff mentioned at the beginning of this thread (great thread by the way). I've got the Wah Maker pants on order from WWM and I just got my Israeli suspenders. One thing I'm not understanding about those though, why do they have to be dyed at all? They're already a khaki color, couldn't one just get some matching elastic suspenders and combine the two? The originals didn't look they they were the exact same color anyways.

Mine were more of a green color than Mal's which is why I needed to dye them a little. And you are on the right track with combining the two sets of braces - there's some good advice about how to do it in the thread, but feel free to ask if you have more questions.

I looked around a bit and couldn't find it, although I was sure I'd seen it somewhere before, but how do I configure the buckles on the front straps? I have two different high res photos that show them done in different ways, but neither is completely clear on how it works.

I keep meaning to take pics of mine for you. I'm not sure if they are exactly right but they look the part. There was a much older thread that I cleaned some info from - I'll see if I can find it.

I'm having some trouble finding a set of y-back elastic suspenders to attatch to the back of the other set... Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
-ds

Hello, I am posting this for anyone that comes here looking for a place to find IDF suspenders. Check out: Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set | Load Bearing Equip | Field Equipment | Top Brass Military

Not sure how many they have left but it is a good source for now and a lot less than the ones that go up for sale on ebay. Although, if you live in Houston, TX you might want to stop by the physical store... when I got mine they were $5 less than the internet price plus you dont have to pay the $7 shipping.

For the people that dyed the suspenders, did you use the color remover or just the dye?

Hello, I am posting this for anyone that comes here looking for a place to find IDF suspenders. Check out: Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set | Load Bearing Equip | Field Equipment | Top Brass Military

Not sure how many they have left but it is a good source for now and a lot less than the ones that go up for sale on ebay. Although, if you live in Houston, TX you might want to stop by the physical store... when I got mine they were $5 less than the internet price plus you dont have to pay the $7 shipping.

For the people that dyed the suspenders, did you use the color remover or just the dye?
Know of any other suppliers?

They canceled my order today:
Email
I want to thank you for shopping with Top Brass, and apologize for the
delay in responding to your order. Please note that we are currently out
of stock, and per our supplier they have discontinued carrying it. Please
let me know if you wish to substitute for another product, and/or cancel
your order.

Hmmm, that is weird. They told me they had more in the back and wanted to know if I would like to pick one out. The one I had was fine so I didn't bother. I guess they must have been wrong. Did you happen to call the 1-800 number and ask the store personnel?

Unfortunately, I do not know of any other vendors... sometimes there is an auction on ebay. The last one I saw just ended a week or so ago and the seller wrote he was down to the last two. So I don't know if there will be any more on ebay either. I had found a couple of website (different names) that were created by Frank Bee (a military surplus co) but they said they didn't have any more in their stock even though it said they did on the websites.

definitely still on eBay.
Search:
mal firefly
There is a pair with one bid and less than an hour to go.
I guess I'd be surprised if this was the last pair.

Mike

Yeah that's the Frank Bee company I was talking about... When I called them they said they did not have any. Who's to say that any of these companies don't get shipments every so often though.

Yea, you're right. Who knows what the resupply schedule is. I got another email from Top Brass saying that they will continue to carry the product but they are out now. The first email they sent me said they were going to stop selling them altogether. So, that's good news.

So, I'm guessing no one ever tracked down the shoe that the Mal boots are based on? There were two possible brands if I remember correctly. Did we ever track down one that worked best or any possible match?

So, I'm guessing no one ever tracked down the shoe that the Mal boots are based on?
There were two possible brands if I remember correctly.
Did we ever track down one that worked best or any possible match?

Ya'll need to git on over to
www.fireflyprops.net
THE hardcore Firefly prop and costume resource.
There is a LOT of info throughout; lots to catch up on.

The specific Mal boots thread is here:
fireflyprops.net • View topic - Mal's Boots

Good luck,
Mike

Ya'll need to git on over to
www.fireflyprops.net
THE hardcore Firefly prop and costume resource.
There is a LOT of info throughout; lots to catch up on.

The specific Mal boots thread is here:
fireflyprops.net • View topic - Mal's Boots

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks for the info. I lurk extensively at fireflyprops. I know the motorcowboy boots have an inaccurate sole and no ribbing. I was wondering if the experts ever tracked down the shoe that the boots were based on, but I'm guessing no.

Guess I'll join the ranks of the DIY Mal boot builders. The HomePage option seems like a good plan, they look great. I might try that if my DIY project crashes and burns.

Does anyone know of a good base shoe to use? One with a similar sole, which doesn't have to have the gray.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back