Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

Thanks for the info. I lurk extensively at fireflyprops. I know the motorcowboy boots have an inaccurate sole and no ribbing. I was wondering if the experts ever tracked down the shoe that the boots were based on, but I'm guessing no.

Guess I'll join the ranks of the DIY Mal boot builders. The HomePage option seems like a good plan, they look great. I might try that if my DIY project crashes and burns.

Does anyone know of a good base shoe to use? One with a similar sole, which doesn't have to have the gray.

I haven't seen any accurate boots out there, I don't think anyone ever identified the boots/sole... that's the thing about boots/shoes... the styles change rapidly and then the old shoes are tossed. Since the show was made so long ago it will be next to impossible to find the right sole.

I will be making my own, it is the only way I will get a decently accurate boot. I will try and reproduce all the details to the best of my abilities as opposed to completely leaving the details out. This is the link to the shoes I got for the soles.

Buy MCQUILLAN sale's men sale shoes at Spring Shoes. Free Shipping!

I plan on modifying/covering the shoes to look exactly like Mal's boots. I will be taking an approach similar to the one on this link:

Untitled Document

I just got a shipping notification from Top Brass for the suspenders I ordered at the beginning of the week.

I was worried my procrastination caused me to miss out, Im glad I was able get a pair, Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup

I just got a shipping notification from Top Brass for the suspenders I ordered at the beginning of the week.

I was worried my procrastination caused me to miss out, Im glad I was able get a pair, Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup

Strange. I wonder why they canceled mine? Mine arrived in the mail today.

Anyone know where I can find a tutorial to finish these puppies?

Well, the first two pages of this thread discuss the construction of the suspenders. It is pretty simple actually. You have to cut the seam holding the two small canvas straps on the back, then they will pull out with ease. Chose whether to dye the canvas suspenders or not. After you dye them, you just sew the elastic straps from the hacked button suspenders. It really is just a matter of looking at the pictures and putting it together. It's pretty straight forward.

Prepping to dye the suspenders, I tried to bleach them today. They are light OD green but the beach isn't making a dent in the color. Is there anything I should do to help get the color out?

Rit color remover is incredibly powerful stuff, way better and safer than bleach. I had some navy blue Sparrow breeches and the color remover turned them white after some trial and error.

Rit color remover is incredibly powerful stuff, way better and safer than bleach. I had some navy blue Sparrow breeches and the color remover turned them white after some trial and error.

Thanks that worked like a charm. After removing the color and a Rid bath, the suspenders are now tan.
suspenders.png

On the subject of dye...I recently found a suede coat at a thrift store that is surprisingly similar in cut to Mal's coat. It fit me perfectly, too, so I had to snatch it up. Only problem is, it's a light tan/orangey/"tobacco" brown color. Is there an easy and effective way to dye suede? (well, technically I think it's top-grain leather - the outside is suede, the inside is "skin"-like).

Hey there everyone. First let me echo what everyone else says, Great info in this tread!!!
I just started gathering up the parts form my Mal Costume, and after looking all over the net and following the various links everyone posted, I either got sights that were nolonger there, compleetly sold out, or out of my price range. The one link that still had some left ( Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set 92-66/661 Green - French ) will only sell them with the additional belt, a canteen case, and 3 ammo pouches. He wants something like $19 + $15 S&H and a minimum order requirement of $20 (not including the S&H).... Besides all I want are the suspenders. LOL...

Well after some searching around I finally had success with this site Israeli Army "H" Suspenders I like the price a little better so I decided to take the gamble and hopefully this site actually has them. Once they come in I will post some pics.

Patattack --> What you want is Fiebing's suede or leather dye in brown. (The leather dye would probably work just as well as the suede). You'll probably need a few bottles to cover an entire trenchcoat. I've had great success colouring leather jackets with it in the past. I don't like the "dauber" it comes with for application though, I've found that pouring it into an atomizer and spraying it in a well ventilated area with little wind works best. ...Just like spraypaint!

If you are going to use Fiebings on suede, the airbrush is the only way to go. Painting/daubing it on will mess up the leather. You're also going to need to seal it after you're done or else it'll rub off on everything.

Well I took this pic a few nights ago. My IDF Suspenders, Gun belt W/ Holster, and gun are arriving in the mail w/in the week, so I will start painting on the gun soon. I know the boots are not really all that correct but I figured that they would work for now. I intend to have this thing ready to wear to our local "Cant Keep Serenity Down" event on June 11.

Is it just me or do my pants look a little to big? I took the measurement around the "True Waist" like they said on the website and I really am not all that large but they do appear to be a little on the baggy side to me?

254502_10150636228860534_664260533_19086541_5267693_n.jpg

The boots are bagging out your pant legs. It happens. Get `em tucked in there.
Did you cinch up the belt at the back of the pants?

I will work on the boots. They aren't the right height any how so i think that adds a little to the problem visually, but I may have a solution to that. I was considering adding a 4.5" partial spat to the tops of the boots pictured. I just cant decide on exactly how to attach them to the boots. I could sew them to the existing boots and add a zipper on the inside part, or i could install snaps around the top of the boot, and the base of the "spat". I am not to sure how well it would work in this application but it could potentially allow me to use the same boot for multiple different costumes... (like the flair at the top of Pirate boots)

I don't remember if I had cinched the pants up in this pic or not, but i will look into that as well.

I will work on the boots. They aren't the right height any how so i think that adds a little to the problem visually, but I may have a solution to that. I was considering adding a 4.5" partial spat to the tops of the boots pictured. I just cant decide on exactly how to attach them to the boots. I could sew them to the existing boots and add a zipper on the inside part, or i could install snaps around the top of the boot, and the base of the "spat". I am not to sure how well it would work in this application but it could potentially allow me to use the same boot for multiple different costumes... (like the flair at the top of Pirate boots)

I don't remember if I had cinched the pants up in this pic or not, but i will look into that as well.

Yeah, in the military they have elastic straps with clips that are designed for that purpose. I can't remember what they are called though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back