Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

Thanks, yea I took some normal Redwing Boots and added a 6" section of leather that snaps together on the inner calf. In my own opinion from a distance it looks ok, but up close it doesn't LOL

Hey everyone ... I started building a Mal outfit and many thanks to all the great info provided by others!!

So here's my $0.02 on the coat issue ... Best replica I've found so far (considering Logan is grossly overpriced & Abbey is discontinued) using real suede is the same one Kezler posted, but here's the updated link

http://www.pendragoncostumes.com/Mercha ... suede_coat

Opinions on authenticity welcome.

Safe travels.

Last edited:
I saw the lighter brown coat at SDCC. I think it's a bit too light in color.

Did you go with the darker brown, or the lighter?

I found a costumer (Angie Coyne) that's making me a a one-off "battle worn" browncoat for a real reasonable price. Found the listing on Etsy. Here's her website www.nubproductions.com

Good luck!

Cool, I haven't had too much luck getting costumes made for me via internet orders. Seems like no matter how many measurements you send them they can never get the size quite right. I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it comes out. Also, if you would like to share, I am sure I am not the only one who is curious as to how much she charges for said coat, what it is made from, etc.

Yeah, I've had lots of stuff tailored so I know what you mean about fitments. Keeping my fingers crossed. I should have the coat soon.

She's making it out of cow suede and charging $310

Yeah, I've had lots of stuff tailored so I know what you mean about fitments. Keeping my fingers crossed. I should have the coat soon.

She's making it out of cow suede and charging $310

lucky you, i just contacted her and it looks like im looking at like 460 if i buy from her. i know most of the malʻs cosplaying are male and so the original shape of the coat is really no matter to you, hence trying to get as screen accurate as possible. i on the other hand (being a curvy woman and not a 12 year old boy) drown in the original shape of the coat. with a bit of looking on etsy, you can find someone who is very willing to work with you on what kind of coat you would like! i know i found mine
Custom Leather Jackets Part Two by VigilanteLabs on Etsy

I found something called "Istanbul clasps" at Patterns of Time.

They're rather small and not quite right, but they're close enough that I'm using them on my own faux-suede Browncoat-in-progress. I think they're closer than your Etsy seller's solution. It is a nice coat/Browncoatish pattern for a woman, though :)

(The faux-suede is from Denver Fabrics (DF#19851); it is wooooonderful, feels absolutely delicious--even better than some of the genuine deerskin I've worked with--and is a totally unsuitable weight/drape for making a coat. I had to get some heavy twill to put between layers of it to make it work. So it's self-lined and the same color inside as out. I'd have preferred to make it unlined (as the original was, with the suede side out and the smooth side in) or at least lined in something the color of the original Browncoat's smooth leather. Not perfect. But the material is so luscious...and washable. I don't recommend it, but I love it. I'm still considering how to make the cuff.)

lucky you, i just contacted her and it looks like im looking at like 460 if i buy from her. i know most of the malʻs cosplaying are male and so the original shape of the coat is really no matter to you, hence trying to get as screen accurate as possible. i on the other hand (being a curvy woman and not a 12 year old boy) drown in the original shape of the coat. with a bit of looking on etsy, you can find someone who is very willing to work with you on what kind of coat you would like! i know i found mine
Custom Leather Jackets Part Two by VigilanteLabs on Etsy

Yeah, unfortunately she's had to raise the price, but it's still the cheapest real suede "browncoat" by almost half and only slightly higher than any quality faux suede replica. Since, she's a professional costumer I'm sure she can alter it to flatter your female form. :)

My coat is back with Angie for a final alteration, and she says she has a source for more "screen accurate" clasps. She's replacing mine for free. All in all, my experience with her has been excellent and would highly recommend.

IMO, if you're going for authenticity and willing to spend the money, Angie's "browncoat" is the one get ... Unless you've got $850+ to special order one from Jonathon Logan.

I actually have a coat in production from Angie. She is a pleasure to deal with by the way.

My question goes to pants. I looked at the frontier classics pants and for the closest color would you go with the "wheat" or "tan"? I am leaning tan but there are some people here who obviously know a LOT about the subject. I am actually down to needing just my pants and shirt for the costume. Shirt should not be a problem.

So, anyways, pants? Anybody? Pants?

I actually have a coat in production from Angie. She is a pleasure to deal with by the way.

My question goes to pants. I looked at the frontier classics pants and for the closest color would you go with the "wheat" or "tan"? I am leaning tan but there are some people here who obviously know a LOT about the subject. I am actually down to needing just my pants and shirt for the costume. Shirt should not be a problem.

Wheat is the "correct" color for Mal's pants with the side stripe. However, he wears a few variations throughout the series and movie.

For his shirt, I found a nice dark red shirt on eBay for cheap ... Maybe $20 shipped.

I just got finished with the biggest hassle of my life trying to get the right color of pants.

I ordered 3 pairs and determined that these pants in the sand color are the closest IMO:
Scully Rangewear Frontier Pants | Wild West Mercantile

The pockets on the front match better than the Frontier Classics. So I guess I can save you some trouble by sharing my findings. lol

thank you both, I kept moving back and forth between colors as some of the colors on the wild west site like the sand and wheat did not look tan/brownish enough to be right given some of the shots of mal Id seen, granted they were publicity photos, like the one of him on the ramp of Serenity. Clips from the show look lighter

thank you both, I kept moving back and forth between colors as some of the colors on the wild west site like the sand and wheat did not look tan/brownish enough to be right given some of the shots of mal Id seen, granted they were publicity photos, like the one of him on the ramp of Serenity. Clips from the show look lighter

I agree with you... that was my main problem as well. Images of these products are far and few between and colors are often not very well represented. d on one. That is how I ended up with three pairs before I settleCheck out the Scully Leather site... they have better images of the pants on their site.

So I finally started my Mal costume and need some help... (thanks to everyone here for getting be started!) looks like the 'official' coat might be back 'soon' at Abbyshot. Custom boots from John Shrader seem the way to go (thank you all on this thread). Everything else I've got on order except the suspenders... and before I tear my hair out trying to get the suspenders, is anyone tired of theirs and want to sell them? lol, not likely? Thought I'd ask. I can do a hack job, looking for someone who went the extra mile for authenticity and has moved on or is broke and needs the cash ;)

Thanks for all the ideas and information, but does anyone have a lead on how to find a screen accurate belt and buckle?
I'm searching Ebay for the WW2 East German stuff, but man is it pricey! Like $100 plus shipping and it's still not quite right.

Thanks and keep flying.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back