Mal Reynolds Firefly costume

I have a Battlestar Glactica colonial warrior costume where the pants are a little baggy around the boot top. I just safety-pin them in tight at the bottom of the calf and again near my ankle. The pins leave marks in the fabric, but nobody will ever see that because it's below boot level.

The leg straps are called "blousing straps". Any Army / Navy store will have them. I'm prior service so I've got about 20 pairs. :) The really get that military blousing nice and easy. Just perfected the Capt. Jack Harkness costume, all authentic gear, so I'm off to making Capt. Reynolds now......

Well i haven't posted hear in a bit but now i finally may have the funds available to purchase my own Firefly version of Mal's Browncoat. Sadly Abbyshott is no longer selling their version and i haven't been able to find any vendors that still have the jacket in stock. I have looked into Browncoat Fashions and they could make me one but they don't know for sure if they would be able to get the right leather or right amount of it. I also have looked into the South beach leather version and haven't heard to many truly positive things about there product.

I am always willing to consider changing my opinion if the info is solid.

Hey Halowarmor, I saw lots of your posts through this thread as I've also been trying to build a Mal costume. It's good to see you back! I'd also be really interested in hearing about people's thoughts on attaining a browncoat at this point. It's really disappointing that Abbyshot is no longer making theirs because it was really the best option available aside from going to Jonathan Logan...and that is spendy! Can I ask what Browncoat Fashions told you in terms of price? I've done A LOT of research lately and have run across them several times, but I thought they were pretty well done with making stuff. I'd really love to hear what they told you.

Let's hope some others can weigh in with options.

I have the browncoat fashions version of the Firefly Gun holster and i love the craftsmanship. But i did hear some disturbing stuff that they copied someone Else's version of Malcolm's Firefly holster rig. Apparently they copied a version of one designed and made by Badger over at fireflyprops.net (See the second post on the page of at this link. fireflyprops.net • View topic - Mal's Pistol... )

Aside from that one negative. I haven't heard any other bad things about their products and, I am really happy with my holster. Any how I emailed Mary over there at browncoat fashions and she has to look into the price and availability of decent leather right now, but she quoted me a price of $900, maybe more.

Based on that I decided to see what type of price Johnathan Logan could do.

I've heard the same about Logan's coats, unfortunately. Over 10 years later I guess it's harder to keep up the consistency...To be honest, I think I'm just going to take a suede or other cheaper material and enlist my talented, sewer sister-in-law to help me out making a facsimile. All I think I'll really struggle with is finding a decent pair of buckles that resemble the show ones. Any tips out there on that?

I have heard that the first remakes were spot on perfect and that the latter ones not so much but I havent heard of any major complaints in regards to any of his recent ones and there screen acuracy. I would be intrested to hear from anybody who has got one from him in the last year or so (2011-2012 lol) and also see some pics of one of his (made for fan) versions .

All I've heard is that he started cutting corners to save himself money and added the waist seam the same as the Abbyshot version and I think removed a lot of the skirting. There may have been something about the buckles, too, but I can't remember.

Badger over at FireflyProps.net did a run of 'copied off screen used' buckles last year. Maybe with enough interest, he'd do it again?

Hey Bronson, that's good to know. I didn't realize Badger did that. Is he still kicking around those boards, do you know? I saw the posts from when he started selling off his FF collection and he just seemed so deflated about doing anything FF related...

I'll see if I can touch base with him on that forum.

I have been talking with Badger over at FireFlyprops.net off and on for the last few days so yea he is active but, sadly he is no longer alowed to make any firefly items.

I have been talking with Badger over at fireflyprops.net • Index page off and on for the last few days so yea he is active but,
sadly he is no longer allowed to make any firefly items.

Well, yeah, that's what QMx does.
They bring in the stars of the prop hobby world,
release a few minor items
(in Badger's case, a $40 wristband and a $300 holster)
and then that's it,
no more props from the ex-hobbyists.
My pre-QMx Whitefall stuff are all items I treasure,
tho' I'll always regret not getting a Telofonix card.
At least Whitefall got to do the "Atlas of the 'Verse", which is mostly pretty cool.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

Thanks all for chiming in and giving some insight. To be honest, it's kind of fun just to be talking to some of you. With the insane amount of research I've done for Mal's costume (let's be honest, it's just fun!) I've run across years of threads and posts by many of you. I just enjoy talking to some stalwarts of the Firefly prop 'verse.

I asked in another thread about Mal's costume, I think, about any suggestions toward Mal's boots. Anyone have ideas. I don't like the MotorCowboy's and they are too inaccurate for the price. I contacted Shrader boots and he is charging nearly 500 for his. Sigh...just a bit out of reach still.

Anyway, thanks you guys for chiming in!

Last edited:
I also enjoy talking about anything from the Firefly verse. Sadly i don't you aren't going to have any luck in the boots area. For myself I fully expect to pay around that price for any boots taller than standard Cowboy boots Simply because I am blessed with big calf muscles. LOL But don't stop looking. Stay Shiny and with any luck we might be able to find a decent source out there. LOL

I asked in another thread about Mal's costume, I think, about any suggestions toward Mal's boots. Anyone have ideas. I don't like the MotorCowboy's and they are too inaccurate for the price. I contacted Shrader boots and he is charging nearly 500 for his. Sigh...just a bit out of reach still.

Anyway, thanks you guys for chiming in!

I posted my own plan earlier in this thread. I can't afford to spend that much on boots and they are not that accurate either.

check my original post below, but the shoes I bought are no longer available:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/mal-reynolds-firefly-costume-56865/index3.html#post1538097

I would look around and see if you can find a similar sole. That is what I did.

I have made a few boots/shoes with this method and it works very well. Good luck with your endeavor.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back