Anyone make DUNE props?

RebellionBarbie, is that photo of a screen used still suit, and if it is, where did you get it? That's the first close-up I've seen!

It is indeed! Paul's hero suit, the one Prop Store of London auctioned off several months ago. They had 4 hi def pics, I almost fell out of my chair when I found them, I'd never seen any pictures of this caliber either:

http://www.propstore.com/full-image.htm?imageId=72883

I've also decided to try to take on the task of building a replica Thumper with moving parts and sound, run a few ideas past my dad who's a far superior mechanic than I lol. He's had a few ideas so far but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear em. :)

Thanks for the link RebellionBarbie, I have never seen those before!

As for the thumper, I have plans to make one. I thought about using the motor from a toy to drive the "thumping" piston and an MP3 player for the sound.

I remember right after seeing Dune when it was released, I was in elementary school and our jump ropes looked just like the ropes they used to ride the worms. Me and my friends would play Fremen (we lived in the deserts of New Mexico so it wasn't a far stretch). Just the segments of plastic were shorter on our jump ropes then the worm harnesses they used.

Lord fettI heard that it was just black electrical tape that was wrapped in sections around the rope

hook_rope.jpg

I would think heat shrink tubing would be better for a replica (if you wanted it to last awhile and look good), electrical tape has a tendency to stop sticking to itself after awhile, leaving sticky residue on itself and the material it's stuck too.

I doubt it. We had rope like that called "static line" in the USMC. It would be easier to buy off the shelf rope than to wrap tape on a several 100ft of rope on a set.
All the static line I'm finding looks nothing like that. I'll keep nosing around and see what I can find.

I remember right after seeing Dune when it was released, I was in elementary school and our jump ropes looked just like the ropes they used to ride the worms. Me and my friends would play Fremen (we lived in the deserts of New Mexico so it wasn't a far stretch). Just the segments of plastic were shorter on our jump ropes then the worm harnesses they used.

Omg I used to think the same thing hahaha! I was actually thinking to myself "maybe I should go back to school and yoink a couple of jumpropes and presto I'll have my 'rope' " :lol

Yknow that hook looks oddly familiar too, I wonder if that was made for the movie, because it looks like something they'd carry in like a BoatsUS or something. I'll see if I can't check it out...

Anyone have any suggestions for what sort of motor would work well in a Thumper? I'm looking to see if I can find any sort of toys that have moving parts like that but not having much luck since I don't exactly know what to look for lol.

And I just bought some of the materials to make a mock-up/small section of a stillstuit. Once I get all the materials I'll be putting it together to see how it looks. Won't be a whole stillsuit yet (the male stillsuits I have much better pictures of so I don't want to start with my own), gotta make sure my technique and materials are visually sound before I get mats for a full suit. I'll post progress pics once I have some! :)

Still trying to find some decent refs, the DVD quality leaves something to be desired.
Doesn't seem to be on Blu-Ray still. I found a forum where someone said they had a copy in April of 08 but I can't find it for sale on BR now. I did find it on Amazon on HD-DVD though. http://www.amazon.com/Dune-HD-DVD-F...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262583867&sr=8-3

I don't have either a BR or HD player so sadly I can't help with screen caps, maybe someone else can.

Found this while looking for thumper images. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=309083

Ooh HD DVD is better than what I've currently got. (Seriously it's like watching the movie through a prism, I haven't been able to watch more than 10 minutes on my big screen without getting nauseous, no joke! >.<)

And it is only like $6. If I had an HD-DVD drive I'd grab it for screen caps alone. I'm going to have to dig out my copy to watch it again.

That must be some pretty thick twine. I live in an area full of cattle farms and ranches, I even drive right over a thick clump of orange twine just yesterday.

What's in that photo does not look like orange twine.

Not calling you a liar LordFett, but saying from experience that this info appears wrong.

Not calling you a liar LordFett, but saying from experience that this info appears wrong.
I think it is from the description of a PiH auction and I have a feeling that twine was just a broad term used by someone who doesn't know the difference between twine and rope. I thought about changing it to rope but since I was quoting I didn't want to get into all of that.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back