Anyone make DUNE props?

That's a good question, I don't think she ever told me what it was called. It was almost like canvas, only much, much more lighter in weight.
She sewed this to a layer of head-liner foam, the very same stuff used in cars.
Inbetween those two materials she had a layer of batting, so that when she sewed the upper layer to the backing, it would "puff" up, making it more 3D.

After it was all done, the color was actually a bit too light for my taste, so I took my airbrush to it to tone it down. This added layer of acrylic paint made the fabric even thougher.

finished the 3d model and blueprints for a hunterseeker the other day. Who knows, might get it made someday :)

hunterseeker2.jpg

did anyone save the pics 'proprunner' (barf) posted of the screen used painbox he got?

i doubt it, these will be quite expensive to make and the market for high end props has weakend considerably with the global crisis going on.

That Hunter/Seeker looks really sweet!!!
Depends what you call 'quite expensive' I think there would be interest for something so 'iconic' from Dune.
LeMarchand have you any idea what the cost would be - just a guestimate?

Regards
Grae

Well, i think i am looking at $150-$200 in machining costs and materials.(but will have to ask) then a little bit more for molding the tip and casting it in clear resin and assembly time.

We'll see what happens this year :) I have to finish my other projects first before i commit to new ones.

In the meantime i also finished the blueprints for the 'Painbox' (thanks to division 6 for the great reference pics :) )

painbox.jpg

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but to hijack... :lol I always wanted one of these.

So, these things are only about what... 4 to 6-inches long, right?

I betcha my shop could machine them for less than that. The clear tip could be machined in acrylic or polycarbonate and flame polished.

(If they had good data and images.)

If someone could come up with some cool "display box" to store it in, that would be schweet.

Just a thought...

finished the 3d model and blueprints for a hunterseeker the other day. Who knows, might get it made someday :)

hunterseeker2.jpg

did anyone save the pics 'proprunner' (barf) posted of the screen used painbox he got?

FYI: I should have a Hunter Seeker proto done in about a week. :thumbsup

I'm fussing over a couple details that are bugging me. It's a meaty prop with the brass on it!

Last edited:
Wasn't there a shot in the film where they discovered a case of these on a dead Harkonnen spy? I think it held two or three. Maybe something based on that?

There was something like a "clip" on the gun the Harkonen launched the hunter seeker from, but no box.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back