Where to buy WED clay?

steveo

Sr Member
I'm based in Cincinnati Ohio and we used to have a ceramics store that used to sell clay. Well, the last time I went there, they were gone. So now I'm forced to buy clay from the internet, but shipping is outrageous, so I really don't want to do that. Does anyone know where to get clay inexpensively and also not pay a ridiculous amount for shipping? Anyone know of any places in Cincinnati that I can pick it up myself and avoid the shipping cost? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
This is where I order mine:

http://www.monstermakers.com/

and they are in Lakewood Ohio.

According to the Laguna Clay site, the closest distributor to you is Cornell Studio Art Supply in Dayton:

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/cornellstudiosupply/CornellStudioArtSupply.htm

Also, if you have a United Art store close to you (I think there is one in Cinci, they have a close equivelent to WED made by AMACO. I just picked up 24 lbs for $12.00.

I checked for a United Art store and we only have a United Art & Education school. :(

I've tried monster makers, but I didn't feel like spending $20.00 for shipping. Call me cheap, but I guess I might have to. Thanks for the tips.

WOW!!! Thank you. I had no idea...obviously. It's so close to my parents! Thanks again, I will be checking them out. Which is the close comparison to WED?

I was in the same situation as you I need 50+ pounds, shipping was crazy

But, then I found out the local Hobby Lobby by me sells a water based clay and if you visit Hobby Lobby's website they almost always have 40% off one item per visit coupons in the weekly flier, print a few out and make a few visits... They will also honor Michael's and JoAnne Fabrics coupons they both rotate 40-50% off coupons regularly as well...

It's Amaco brand 'Moist Pottery Clay X-15' $14.99 for 25 lbs... With the 40% off it's only $8.99!

It's formulated for firing, but I find it quite useful just as a regular clay...

My only word of caution is that I don't know if it contains sulfur, for my uses it's didn't matter, but it might if you need to pull a silicone mold off it... Probably worth a test...

Last edited:
Thanks, Exoray...I have one right next to my gym...will definitely be checking that out.

Also, what will happen to the silicone mold if you use a sulfur based clay?

Ah, didn't know that...Thanks for the info. \

Hm, I wonder if that's what happened with my first attempt at my Boushh mask. I didn't use silicone, but Smooth-On and I sprayed on a clear cote of Krylon I believe. The stuff never really set up and I thought maybe I mixed it wrong.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back