T-47 Scratch build

3d-builder

Sr Member
I have been watching Gort build his kit master.........and well if copying is a compliment the higest one goes out to him!!:lol I have a vesion I built with the black markings but I would like one wit the orange markings so I started another.

Well I am no master but I will tell you if your not a making a kit, the speeder is an excercise in making templates and cutting styrene.Although it looks easy this one is my 3rd attempt on the secnd building!! I went through the same thing with my finished model........I must take crappy notes!!!:$

One of the differences in this model will be I am trying to vacuum form the large turbines that are between the boxes on the hull.In my first one they were created out of resin and very heavy sitting on the hull.This time I would like to get away with just having the culminating tips of the lasers cast in resin.

Another area I would like to make better on this attempt is the heat sink assembly.Gort has done a fantastic job nailing this area.From his hard work I can benefit with the great pictures he has posted and am thankful for this!!:thumbsup My first speeder in this area was to wide to the point that it would not allow me to have the lower air brakes be the correct size! I am not a HUGE stickler but WRONG IS WRONG in glaring construction errors.

Here is what I have so far on my orange version I am going to light this one also but use Fiber Optics this time!Again Big Up to Gort! These are the benefits of working behind a more skilled builder and learning!!

I used the small model kit the re-released one...hey it's cheap!:$ I am not sure what Gort id using mybe the Master Replicas version.......?which is a ton more accurate !! But I hope to sure it up here and there from reference, but my goal is to just have a good representation in the end.

I started by scaling up the small kit 3x making templates and cutting them out of 2mm HIPS High Impact Polly Styrene.I built my canopy down onto to hull as I am not making a kit. I found this better for me because after trying to asseble all the sides and cutrting out the windows ,it just wanted to warp out on me and not fit the hull where it was destined to wind up!!:lol

When the canopy was finished and glued down it was time to mark the reference lines for the windows and begin to open them up.Since my canopy is glued down and not pre cut before assembly(Windows) I will have to use a dremel tool and be careful along the way!:love your dremel tool is your friend use it with a light touch and it's your best friend in this case!:lol

A pilot hole is made to allow the dremel to begin eating lunch!!!:lol

The dremel tool will leave you with a nasty finish, when I use it I don't try to go all the way to the reference marking! Instread I stop 1mm above and finish with a spatula that I glued sand paper to....nice little trick ha!:lol

You can see in the pics I have the engine boxes installed........oops I finished them before I cut the windows.......:$ Dem na worry I will show how I made them.....back to cutting and sanding.......

The engione boxes are built the same way as the hull by making templates and cutting them out of the styrene! I have mistake with mine they should sit a little higher up on the canopy (The rear ones) but I will live with it for now....hey theres an excuse right there for another speeder!!:lol

Next I moved onto the big bulkhead in the rear to support the speeders bumsey and strengthen things up! For this I used a piece of 3mm styrene a bit thicker and stronger for sure!

Now a little tricky piece back by the weapons port socket!:angry Gort has this perfect mine is a bit off because like I said previous my boxes in the (rear) are a bit to low which effects this piece and vise versa!:lol
Like I said buy the kit youi won't end up making three to get one right!!:lol

Now the laser generators ya like I said I would try to get them out of vacuum forming! I wish mine were a little filming mini accurate but hey not bad for a home job!!:lol I made a pattern and formed it, It came out very well but it was a bit lumpy!:$ So I decided to cut it up and make it a bit more crisp and glue it back together....yes having a bit of a hacker in me helps in these sad moments!:lol Sorry don't have pics of the heating and sucking that went on to create them!

That's very nice work there!
Thinking of doing one too to compensate the dead time between the falcon.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back