My Tia Dalma / Calypso - Pirates of the Caribbean

Very impressive work. You definitely capture the essence of the character. I've been very impressed with the work from the recent members...

Apparently there's some sort of high-toned and fancy to do up at the fort, eh?

Your costume is absolutely stunning and you pull the look off well. Fantastic job!!!! I've seen a couple of good looking Tia Dalma costumes and yours is one of the best I've seen.

Weathering the costume is a great tip! Also remember to weather your skin when donning the costume as well. Some of Tia Dalma's longer dreads also have hints of a brownish color in them which give it that dirty look as well. Tia's longer dreads look similar to some of Jack's dreads.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! AWESOME!!!!! I can't wait to see more pics! :love

Outstanding work there. It doesnt hurt that you're a dead ringer :love
Distressing as well as weathering would compliment the ensemble. Although they could be deemed as the same thing I think distressing should be considered a different process.
On the extras DVD for 'curse..' there was little bit about the distressing process using cement mixers and bricks :eek
Maybe if you toned that idea down a touch and used pummace stones and a tumble dryer the same effect could be gained. Then add the grime :thumbsup
Alternatively, so you can control the process better you could do it by hand with some form of abrasive material. It'll take far longer but at least you dont run the risk of ruining all your hard work.

Jasmine your refrence pics reminded me of something else. When weathering don't stop at just color and "dirt"....

tatter the hell out of it.

Someone once told Jack Bauer that "gullible" was written on the ceiling. Jack then wrote the man's name in blood on the floor.

Thanks everyone!

Recently I redid the coat and bodice. Here are some updated pics. Weathering wise, I used paint to help create a "dirty" look. I also ripped and tore it in places. I'll continue to weather it as I go. I also got a new wig. (The costume looks darker in person.)

As for my accent, I still need to work on that!! :lol

3373241486_e896005345.jpg

3372422951_80f57bc378.jpg

3373241588_932d8f674e.jpg

I've also picked up a couple POTC Master Replicas items. One of which was the chest...

3373242038_00576db8d7.jpg

And, because I love this character so much (and for other reasons), yesterday I got a Calypso tattoo. It's my first! My brother was there along with my buddy Jeff (jedistine).

3383789932_dc45282b73.jpg

You look seriously awsome! :D

Edit - I was going to put "Love that chest too!"...but then I relised it might be taken the wrong way. :lol (The Davy Jones chest, I swear! ) LOL. :p ;)

Very nice Tia Dalma! Looks much more SA and well improved!

OI! That chest looks awfully familiar! Have I've see your chest before?:eek

<THWACK! Front side of Tia Dalma's hand against my cheek!>:lol

CIMG2359.jpg

No, I disagree, you're prettier than Tia Dalma.
I wouldn't suggest weathering yourself,...

...let the rum do that for ye!
CaptainCut-throatMarooney.JPG

Seriously though, for weathering, just wash everything together with some jeans (especially if you have black jeans) and the whole costume will take on a dingy grey look.

My whole wardrobe in College took on that look because I washed everything together.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! :)

Jodo, lol... thanks. I had wanted to use it for photo ops, but I think that it will stay on display. It's too big and too heavy for me to carry around.

Thank you Jack. That's what I was going for! :D

Thank you "Ham Salad" :)

Sparticle, thanks. That's really nice. Me and rum though would not be a good mix... :lol I do think that I have some black jeans around somewhere. I will have to give that a try!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back