Captain Nemo's Under Water Rifle - aKa: UWR

modeleers

Sr Member
This is my 1st show & tell post.
My UWR took about 50 hours of buildtime - over a 7 month period,
as I wanted to mold & cast 73 of her main components.
In total, my UWR has 93 partz.
While the Trigger is static, the Stock pivots)

My UWR & Display Mount - that mimics the interior of the
DiveSuit Room aboard the Nautilus. (Disney 1954)
wallmountdave10rivets.jpg

Bow
UWRbowshot.jpg

Stern
UWRsternview.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the term for this is the Electric Rifle. Maybe. That tidbit of info seems to be floating around in my head.

Great job. Make a kit.

Do you have any other 20,000 Leagues props??

YES! I'll show more of what I can, soon. And thanx for the compliment.
A friend & I have a web site that's currently 'under construction'.
http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/

Kit (of UWR): I made several copies for friends & private collectors, but they were pre-assembled & painted.
Offering Kits proved - impractical. It takes 3 to 4 hours just to fabricate & assemble the Muzzle (also called a 'Bird-Cage' in my Shoppe). You're right! The JV Book refers to them as 'Electric Rifles'. I call them UnderWaterRifles - just for Fun.
uwr6.jpg

Thanx All!
I'm ready for my close-up Mr. De Mille! (The UWR's CrossHairs)
eye-1.jpg

Hello Will! I've misplaced the old UWR's 'detail & glamour' shots in a folder somewheres. David will be shooting all new ones for the V.V. website.

Thanx All!
I'm ready for my close-up Mr. De Mille! (The UWR's CrossHairs)
eye-1.jpg

Hello Will! I've misplaced the old UWR's 'detail & glamour' shots in a folder somewheres. David will be shooting all new ones for the V.V. website.

Having held one of these rifles over the holidays in mikel's secret victorian weapon building bunker, I must say the quality is ridiculous from the hammered appearance of the main chamber to even putting in stamped manufacture numbers on the "steel" butt section. My advice for anyone into steampunk or disneyana is to pick one up before the molds retire!

Nathan:thumbsup

Having held one of these rifles over the holidays in mikel's secret victorian weapon building bunker, I must say the quality is ridiculous from the hammered appearance of the main chamber to even putting in stamped manufacture numbers on the "steel" butt section. My advice for anyone into steampunk or disneyana is to pick one up before the molds retire!

Nathan:thumbsup

N8N, thanx for the copious verbage. (we kid, cause we're still kids)
Nathan helped me build one of the Display Mounts for the UWRs. (pics soon)
Back in the Day, he also spilled blood (via Exacto) on my Holoprojector build. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=55849

I hope that one of these days, Los Angeles will depose him & he'll come to work with me. My 1/35th Nautilus build needs another skilled & talented Deck Hand.

Last edited:
For Rivet Detail - The Vulcania Volunteers hire Ex-patriots from Disneyland or it's Twin locale, ...that forsaken Bog in Florida.
(I tease Will (aKa: Son of Laser) because he's just - too damn good!)

Last edited:
I too have see Modeleer's Underwater rifle in person. It's a fine piece of work!
I too have seen DaveG's own, initially Disney 20K inspired, UWR in person!
It's a fine piece of work, ...& so is it's creator, DaveG! :lol
Who's raw talent & work is among the Best - I've Ever seen!

My UWR replica is Not a 100% copy of the original Film Prop.
The original was not made for close-ups & it either included or lacked details, that I though could use some Victorian updating.
I was as faithful to the overall design as I could be, while including or leaving out details that I feel Harper Goff would have accepted as respectful improvements of his original concept.

The Display Mounts are my design, except for a small change to the upper Vertical Mount as seen in the DiveSuit Room aboard the Nautilus. The original was easily recognizable as a common broom holder, so I built ny own.

Here are some detail & build pics that I found over the weekend:

3/4 front view of the Muzzle, what I nicknamed the 'Birdcage' & the 'Tree'.
This section alone is made from 28 separate partz & takes nearly 3 hours to assemble correctly. It is one of the main reasons I chose to only offer my UWR as Assembled Display Models & Not as Kits.
UWRbow.jpg

3/4 rear view of same
UWRmuzzle.jpg

Mid-Section: Airtank & detail of Hammer Copper/ Ring Braces / Trigger & Trigger Guard / Rear Site
Gun003.jpg

Stern Section: Blast Chamber /Rear of Airtank - Hose & Connectors
UWRstern.jpg

URW 3/4 Rear View / Unfinnished Pedistal Mount Display Stand
4rear.jpg

UWR 3/4 Front View
4-1.jpg

Detail of single Pedestal Mount
UWR-Pedestal-1.jpg

Vertical - Dive Chamber Mounts & Horizontal Wall-Mounts - these (hooks) mimic typical horizonal rifle-displays
DiveMounts.jpg

Close-up of 1/16th half-round - Victorian-style - accent on the trigger guard.
12trigplatedetail.jpg

3/4 Rear View / Close-up of Trigger assembly
4rear-1.jpg

Early 'build' close-up of Front end of air-tank.
7nipple.jpg

Last edited:
Totally inspired by this superb prop, Im going to attempt one myself.
However, I feel the bar has been raised awfull high...

I've been getting 'cards & letters' about the UWRs:
Yes! I will be doing a run, look for a post in RPF-JY in about 2 to 3 weeks.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back