Paint for Urethane Rubber?

I've painted flexible materials by giving them a coat of spray-on contact adhesive before applying the paint.It holds up pretty well but there are probably better options.

been investigating this a while now

I am building a clone trooper and have a foam belt upgrade.

in the UK - some have recommended leather spray paint that some of the sneaker modders use. Brands that have come up are Magix and Angelus

think some of the US guys recommend Tulps fabric paint

havent done it myself yet, but I was going to go with Magix leather spray paint

urethane is a bugger to paint.

one technique it to first spray the piece in acetone, this reacts with the rubber and gives you something to key the paint too, then mix acetone in your paint and spay away. lighter coats work best

I would wash the bare rubber in alcohol, give it a good wipe off with a lint free towel (or as lint free as possible) and just dust it with a decent spray paint. Ive gone it for years and have seen rubber props that rival hero items so much rubber castings have passed for hero pieces on camera.

Try satin polyurethane to seal the pores first,then spray it with a gray primer,just enough to coat it,so that you can see it,for coverage,then paint it lightly in between coats to get even coverage. Or,you can use createx,or ceramcoat directly onto the surface,but you'll want to test coverage on scrap first,to see how it reacts with the material you're using so that there is no adverse reaction to it! There are a few websites that are geared towards this kind of paint coating,maybe they can help you out with this better than I.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back