Sideshow r2 and 3po vs. screen used

Hi Gino,

There seems to be a problem with access to rebelscum today, Im getting an "sql error"

I've been a member there for a number of years and their a nice bunch of guys, however I do think its a different type of member there where they appear to have stronger allegiances to licensed collectibles (such as MR, efx and Sideshow) as opposed to fan made. In the past Ive posted scoops on new original helmet finds and had little input (compared with here or the prop den). Thats not a criticism, just a reflection of the differing interests a lot of the guys there probably have.

As you know I interviewed Fred Barton last March as had high hopes for his 3po. However imo the final design is disappointing, most especially the head where the eyes look totally inaccurate, to me the most critical flaw you can make. It always surprised me that Barton sculpted rather than simply recast an existing head.

Bottom line is as we all know, fan-made will always be more accurate but some are happy to accept inaccuracies in order to buy licensed collectibles. In the past Ive come across people who will ONLY buy licensed, which I find quite bizarre.

I think its just a case of "different strokes"

Cheers

Jez

Try it now, should be okay.
I realize the different mindset there, but immediately upon my comments about the sideshow pieces not matching the screen used, a few people contested it.

I though for sure some here have already put together photo comparisons, (or would be interested in putting some new ones together) to help show them.

Weird.
Jez just posted over there but he was getting an error before as well.
Keep trying, it's just acting up or something.

My problem with Fred Barton/Sideshow's 3PO has always been the head, which IMO was a step backwards form the Don Post. I just dont know why they didnt get an original source (or even a 2nd gen casting off an original)

Original, Sideshow, Don Post
three_threepios.jpg

:cry

Cheers

Jez

WOW...

That's very interesting about Fred Barton. He started by recreating and restoring Robby the Robot from the original costume that appeared in Forbidden Planet. His version is what was used for all subsequent models. His work for Robby and B-9 were the hallmark of the industry.

WOW...

That's very interesting about Fred Barton. He started by recreating and restoring Robby the Robot from the original costume that appeared in Forbidden Planet. His version is what was used for all subsequent models. His work for Robby and B-9 were the hallmark of the industry.

welcome aboard fred...........:lol

Don't get me wrong, if someone RECASTS his work, I would cheer him on in pursuing that person.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back