What's the most popular look of the 4th Doctor?

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I cannot decide on which of his outfits I'd like to create more. I'm looking for a "standard" that everyone seems to recognize, but I guess just having the scarf on any one of the outfits is enough for fans to notice. But out of curiousity, what is considered "THE" look of the 4th Doctor?

The hat, the scarf, the frock coat. Baker went thru various hats, but a nice unbashed fedora would do the trick.

imageuploadimageuo8.jpg

imageuploadimagecw4.jpg

Later he loses the ascot, and even the vest, but the more "casual" he gets the less "Doctory" he is. :lol

doctorwhotomtv7.jpg

Last edited:
As phase pistol posted- if you have a large hat, long scarf and a brown or grey frock coat - you're pretty much got what people consider 'the standard' If you really want to go for something specific I'd say the Season 12 look with the red cordoruy safari style jacket (pictured above in the 1st and 3rd pics) or the Season 14 look (wine colored velvet frock, brown/tan houndstooth tartan vest, scarf and the bottle green unfinished fur hat) would be what I'd lean to as the main standard 4th Doctor looks.

Bascially avoid the dark reddish purple look of Season 18. (and it's the hardest version to recreate so you're in luck there.)

The Season 12 is my favorite- and that's how I had my costume done. Though for fun I'm looking into the Season 14 variation but even a 'reasonably close enough' vest farbic is proving to be impossible to find.

http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/000483ht/

http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/0003edpy/

http://pics.livejournal.com/honorarydoctor/pic/0003xh93/

(All linked pics by Scott and Vickie Sebring.)

Last edited:
...this just reminds me that after three good practice attempts, they finally found the right man - one with such charisma and talent, who was by nature almost alien-like in his eccentricity - to properly play this character. I grew up Pertwee, Baker, Davison, and then stopped watching as it plummeted rapidly. I've seen some decent acting in the years since, but I've never seen an actor, let alone another human being, encapsulate so perfectly what The Doctor is.

_Mike

Thanks everyone. I really love all his looks, but like the last costume the least. Isn't there one where he wears a brown coat as well?

I'll probably end up making the scarf myself. I've started to practice knitting just for that purpose. It's not hard but it can be a bit frustrating when starting out. Each step is getting easier and easier for me though while I knit for practice before starting the real deal. I know I could just go and buy a scarf but to make it myself would be fantastic. I think I'll make a good 4TH Doctor. I sure have the nose for it. -laughs- Maybe this photo isn't the best example, its from a crazy short film I did with some friends. That's me in the black trenchcoat. Check out the schnoz.
l_207ff4ad2e862ddf7be7b49532129da9.jpg
l_ce38a23909337af6b914d33fcc908b17.jpg

Last edited:
...this just reminds me that after three good practice attempts, they finally found the right man - one with such charisma and talent, who was by nature almost alien-like in his eccentricity - to properly play this character. I grew up Pertwee, Baker, Davison, and then stopped watching as it plummeted rapidly. I've seen some decent acting in the years since, but I've never seen an actor, let alone another human being, encapsulate so perfectly what The Doctor is.

_Mike

Quoted for truth!:thumbsup

Yes he wore a dark brown version of the velvet frock in Season 15 and Season 16. He also wore a light brown but more tan frock in a wool in late Season 16 and Season 17.

I just had a second Season 12 scarf commissioned in the Jo sharp yarn as a back up. I should have it by next week.

Best of luck on the scarf and costume. Do post pics when youre finished.

not only that but the guy got to look at the original and compare yarn colors, under season 12 he has the list. This also applies to season 16 because that was a season 14 and a modified season 12 put together.

I just need to get the wool ordered.

I like his costume from pyramids and mandragora. cause I love POM and also cause i like the dark purple frock coat!

by the way.

does anyone know what happened to the tragical history tour?

Where's the best place to order the wool scarf thread from? Been looking around in every fabric/craft store I come across, but never find anything.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back