WIP: Nicksdad Dredd helmet

Laser Brain

Sr Member
After a little sanding, some scribing, drilling, dremelling finially and some masking an painting, my 'Nicksdad' Dredd helmet is starting to take shape.

I still need to tidy up the mask lines - another (careful) blast of the red should take care of that. Then it's due a thick coat of lacquer or two.

Once the painting is complete I can concentrate on a visor and the interior as I wait for the badge to be electroplated.

1252807.jpeg

1484355.jpeg

1556632.jpeg

Here's one with the flash on:
1693230.jpeg

Cheers
Neil

Cheers. I think I meant vacuum-metalising rather than electroplating. Similar gold-chrome result using an electric current. Not sure it works on resin though.

I'm hoping to get hold of one of these helmets in the new year, what colours did you decide on using, are they standard auto paints?

Awesome work - you got all the details of the hero helmet in there. Those earholes must have been a pain to drill. you even scribed the line in between the red and the blue. It looks great.

You offering your paint services to fellow members? :love

Thanks guys. I used standard Halfords rattle cans for the red and blue. Ford Royal Blue and BMW Zinnobar Red. I drew up a template in Illustrator for the holes. Then spray mounted it to the helmet.

A 2-pack lacquer has been applied. Three nice coats. It still needs to be rubbed down and polished, in a couple of days, once it is hard.

With flash:
7750302.jpeg

Without flash:
7780213.jpeg

7832245.jpeg

7852263.jpeg

7872743.jpeg

An area than needs rubbing back:
7889721.jpeg

I'd love to do another one of these to get it closer to perfect.

I think I have a good solution for the visor tinting and frosting, will know for sure in the next couple of days.

Neil

I'd love to do another one of these to get it closer to perfect.

I think I have a good solution for the visor tinting and frosting, will know for sure in the next couple of days.

Neil

if you want to do another one, you can paint mine.:love

and be paid of course

Nice paint job , whats it like size wise ,I heard some are very small ? Lookin forward to seeing the finished article :cool

Great looking helmet, very movie screen accurate and nice clean finish! If you're looking for a good way to line the inside of the helmet I recommend using 9mm plastazote foam! It's great stuff and used it myself on my own helmet, it gave a real snug fit so no helmet wobbling on the head!!

Great looking helmet, very movie screen accurate and nice clean finish! If you're looking for a good way to line the inside of the helmet I recommend using 9mm plastazote foam! It's great stuff and used it myself on my own helmet, it gave a real snug fit so no helmet wobbling on the head!!

Hey Judge palmer where did you get your plastizote from in blighty? been searchin around ,found some on flea bay but it was a bit pricey! Thanks in advance :thumbsup

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back