Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

Wendy,

Kinda hard for me to tell from your link, as the sample colors on that site are so small. However, for Rudolph's main coat, nutmeg looks close but perhaps a bit dark? Copper looks interesting, too, if blended properly. The undercoating needs to be an off-white tannish color, so maybe a blend of cherub and camel?

Again, hard for me to tell for sure from the small links and I also don't know about blending wools as you plan to do. Keep us posted.

One last remark. There have been numerous replicas made for various TV commercials and spoofs (e.g., AFLAC commercials, Mad-TV spoofs, Wal-Mart promotion, etc.) and they always get the main coat way too dark.

Thanks,

Pumpernickel

Well I placed an order for the wool in various colors. It will take about a week to arrive and then I'll start blending colors.

Once I think I am close, I'll start posting photos of my progress. I'll also be recording the "recipe" of the colors and amounts I am using so I can repeat the final color.

Once we think I am the coloring right, I'll make a sheet of felt and go form there.

I have dye coming.

The Book says everything was HAND DYED.

So Im going the white felt route, then experimenting with the dyes.

Ill carve my head out of wood, then I can reproduce it in resin if there is interest.

Frank

I have dye coming.

The Book says everything was HAND DYED.

So Im going the white felt route, then experimenting with the dyes.

Ill carve my head out of wood, then I can reproduce it in resin if there is interest.

Frank

When I say pre-dyed, that means I don't dye it myself but the place I buy from is a farm and they HAND DYE the wool. ;)

Still I am interested in seeing your results. Are you using polyester or wool felt? What type of dye are you using and are you using one shade of dye or making a mixture of different colors?

As far as the head, I could be interested in one pending on the outcome. :)

How is the felt made into thin sheets after it's colored?

What do you guys think was used to glue it to the puppet?

I'm rocking a knee injury, and I'm not able to move around much.

I've been playing around with my KerrLabs Ultra Waxer and some Toxic Moms Wax to keep my sanity.

Both of these characters look like they would be fairly stressless sculpts to toy around with.

I lack knowledge in dealing with the felt and leather eyes.

Getting it sculpted out in wax would be ideal, since you could hot glue the felt down to check the integrity of the shape. If it's off you could easily remove the felt and rework it's shape and check it again until you have it down.

How is the felt made into thin sheets after it's colored?

Are you talking about the felt you find in stores? It's made by an industrial felting machine.

I however have two options, I can use my own felting attachment on my sewing machine or I can wet felt the wool. Either way I will have a flat sheet of wool in the end.

Pumpernickel, give me an email address and I will send you a bigger pic. We are limited in size in the forum.

Last edited:
Flash will be absorbed differently by different materials.

Also, after all these years, the current color probably isn't what it was originally. I'd hazard a guess that the dye wasn't any kind of special chemical which resists the effects of light on the pigment. Normally, anything dyed will lighten over the years due to this. I'd suggest matching what is seen on film will get you more accurate than matching the current state of the puppets.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back