Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

If the main Hermey puppet was only 140mm (5.51 inches), maybe Rudolph was closer to 5 inches? Look at this photo of the Rudolph puppet, compared to the hand holding it.

But you are correct, smaller versions of the puppets were used in a few short scenes. Specifically, when the puppets were shown with Bumbles (in long shots), smaller puppets were used.

Pumpernickel

Hopefully, I'm getting exact measures from Kevin.
Yeah, its definitely smaller. Kevin tells me they are actually talking to several organizations to have high end replicas made. COOL!

Frank

Too bad this didn't happen months ago so that we could have them for Christmas but there is always next year. I can think of nothing more that would bring the memories of childhood back EVERY single time I looked at the replicas on my mantle (assuming of course that they get made and I can afford one :lol ). Hope this all works out and these iconic puppets get the treatment they deserve.

Will

Although it's a slightly different Rankin-Bass puppet (see photo), ABC is airing "Rudolph's Shiny New Year" tonight at 8:30pm eastern. First time this special has been on a major network in years. Red Skeleton narrates, while Frank Gorshin, Morey Amsterdam, and Billie Mae Richards (original Rudolph voice actress) lend their voices to characters. This one doesn't hold up like the original Rudolph, Frosty, or Santa Claus is Coming to Town, but it's mildly interesting.

Pumpernickel

RuduolphsShiny_440x270.jpg

Wow, his mouth is more like a humans instead of like the original puppet (which was on the snout). DON'T REPLICATE THAT ONE!!!! :lol

The MAKING OF BOOK says Hermie was 140 mm. And he is taller than Rudolph, so either my measures are WAY off, or there were several sizes.

The book is really awesome. There is even a diagram showing how the deer were constructed.

Is there anyway you can make a scan of that diagram? I would like to see how the deer were constructed since I am very seriously thinking about making an attempt to recreate Rudolph now.

If someone has hi res photos, I would like to see if I can get a good sight at the inner ears and belly since it looks like a slightly fussier felt was used.

Is there anyway you can make a scan of that diagram? I would like to see how the deer were constructed since I am very seriously thinking about making an attempt to recreate Rudolph now.

If someone has hi res photos, I would like to see if I can get a good sight at the inner ears and belly since it looks like a slightly fussier felt was used.

Unfortunately, this is about the only thing about the puppets (of interest) in the book. Send me your email and I'll send some pix.

Pumpernickel

Rudolpharmaturedrawing.jpg

Thanks for posting that diagram!!

Well I wonder if anyone has any ideas on finding the light bulb for the nose?

Also anyone good at wood work?

Yeah, its definitely smaller. Kevin tells me they are actually talking to several organizations to have high end replicas made. COOL!

Frank

Hope Kevin comes through with the measurements, as well as high-end replicas.

I managed to locate a couple of vintage articles from the 2006 Atlanta Center for Puppetry Arts Museum appearance. Both articles (Atlanta Journal Constitution and New York Times) state that the Rudolph puppet is 5 inches tall. Also, found a photo of the Rudolph puppet, pre-restoration, standing next to the Comet reindeer action figure made by Forever Fun/Memory Lane. Comet is about 4 5/16th" (measured from the bottom of his hooves to the top of his head, not considering his baseball cap or antlers). In the photo, the Rudolph puppet is about 1-1.5" or so taller than Comet.

Pumpernickel

Compared to the toy in the photo above, that Rudolph puppet's coloring does not look very dark. I happen to have a handful of these toys at home so I might grab them and start looking into trying to find predyed wools that come close in color.

Anyone have any idea on what could be used for the nose however? I would want to use a LED but I think I would need to find something to give the right shape to the nose and then sitck the LED inside of it.

Frank

I think we should talk to Kevin about using the RPF to make the replicas. Lot's of talented people here that could handle the job.

Has anyone checked out the stopmotion replica Tauntaun over in the modelling forum being done by Guy? Absolutely incredible and accurate.

Also, I think Kevin thinks I am you Frank! I just stopped responding to him as not to confuse him. Also didn't want to raise any red flags.

Could you forward his email to me?
frankkcerney@yahoo.com

Please dont confuse him!
Im being considered for helping with this officially.

I think we should talk to Kevin about using the RPF to make the replicas. Lot's of talented people here that could handle the job.

Has anyone checked out the stopmotion replica Tauntaun over in the modelling forum being done by Guy? Absolutely incredible and accurate.

Also, I think Kevin thinks I am you Frank! I just stopped responding to him as not to confuse him. Also didn't want to raise any red flags.

Compared to the toy in the photo above, that Rudolph puppet's coloring does not look very dark. I happen to have a handful of these toys at home so I might grab them and start looking into trying to find predyed wools that come close in color.

Anyone have any idea on what could be used for the nose however? I would want to use a LED but I think I would need to find something to give the right shape to the nose and then sitck the LED inside of it.

Flash will be absorbed differently by different materials.
LED idea is a good one. I would find a small ball, mold it in CLEAR RED..with the LED in it.

I've started looking at pre-dyed wool roving to see what colors I want to purchase and experiment with. I plan to custom blend my own wools to make as close as possible the right colors for Rudolph's coat and under belly portions.

I have ordered from the place over the past two years and the colors are normally right on mark with the photos in this link:

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/nz_corri.htm

I am not going with any natural, undyed wools because those can indeed vary in color and I want to try to remain constant in coloring as much as possible.

If anyone wants to take a peak and make some recommendations on what colors they think they see in these Rudolph photos, that would be great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back