Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

I've got to make these in the off season. I've collected Rudolph for years ever since buying Robert Mays autograph. These will look great with my Jim Shore sculptures and all the toys that have been put out.

If anyone finds 12V bulbs in the right shape and size for the nose, post it. I haven't found anything appropriate so far.

Does it have to be 12v?

another thing you could do is just use the LED as a lens, with an incandescent behind it.
then the light would shine thru the LED and it would glow like it did on film.

Last edited:
Got this far on Hermie today......

18832_1219966734296_1082738501_30597625_2359580_n.jpg

Well,

Like I said..Im trying to go for more of a BULB Look.

Here is a first attempt. I need to dye the clear resin darker...and go with a RED LED inside, vice a clear one.

led.jpg

It looks a TAD too yellow. THat is the Led. If i go with a red one, it will look better.

He still needs some work, but here he is...

almost.jpg

I think you're right about the red LED. That should do it nicely. What size LED are you using Frank?

Im using a small LED in the version you see.

The larger red one would work if I sand it down a bit.

Ill try it and post some pics. I bought fresh clear, and it should arrive today. The resin I had was old..and became very brittle. Which is why the bottom of my casting is not defined. It Crumbled.

Frank,

Looks like you really nailed Rudolph. Congrats! Look forward to more pix and updates. Seasons Greetings.

Pumpernickel

Pumpernickel,

Thank you!
I really plan on getting him more accurate next go around.

Also a key item, is to PLAN the order of assembly, and sadly I didnt do that very well. Now I know what order to do everything in.

Well,

Like I said..Im trying to go for more of a BULB Look.

Here is a first attempt. I need to dye the clear resin darker...and go with a RED LED inside, vice a clear one.

led.jpg

It looks a TAD too yellow. THat is the Led. If i go with a red one, it will look better.

He still needs some work, but here he is...

almost.jpg

LOVE it!!!(y)thumbsup

I am so jealous. please say you will be starting a step by step, "how to", thread on these soon? I would love to make a set. Or.... you could always do a run and sell them.

I am so jealous. please say you will be starting a step by step, "how to", thread on these soon? I would love to make a set. Or.... you could always do a run and sell them.

The Step by step is a possibility as I have shot pictures of everything I have done.
I probably wont post anything "complete" as far as tutorials until Im finished with the display.

As far as a run? NO WAY. No one could afford what I would need to charge to make it worth the time.

Besides, I wouldnt do that to Kevin. He is pretty sensitive about what pictures are out there and "tons of replicas" existing. I have tried to explain that replicas help BUILD ENTHUSIASM for something and he should embrace the attention especially if he is serious about licensing them.

Not that he would hold the rights, I think it's RANKIN/BASS, however your talking about some much time it could be public domain.
However, he DOES own the original and his involvement would be critical.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back