Rankin-Bass Rudolph puppets - re-creations?

Frank, for the eye leather, they just took something that was like glove leather, and they kept shaving the back side until it was thin enough. They didn't search for something special. :)

Frank, for the eye leather, they just took something that was like glove leather, and they kept shaving the back side until it was thin enough. They didn't search for something special. :)

Thanks Man!
Was that in the Book? I should read it vice just look at the pictures!

DOH!

Last edited:
You know, and Im sure Brother Vader would agree,

You have to BUILD one of these...to figure out how to BUILD IT.

I had TWO attempts on the body.
Yes I have more pics of the wood carving and otherstuff, but I dont want to post everything yet.

How I was originally going to do the eye, was different. Thanks Vader for the tip, I was able to salvage the eye by cutting through the felt and dremeling it out underneath it.
NOT the way to do it, but it work.

Ill try the RIGHT way for the next one, and for CLARICE.

Frank

Thank you!
I hope to have him done by this weekend..in between casting sessions.
Im finishing up some ATST orders.

I know lead wire was mentioned but are there other types of wire that can be bent repeatedly and not snap? I’d like to make a simple stop motion puppet and was wondering what the strongest wire was.

Update..and some fun with photo shop.

nose.jpg

Here you can see the shape of the "bulb".

I used an AIRSOFT BB, and some styrene tubing for the master.
I molded it, and an LED is imbedded into the resin. I tinted some SMOOTH ON CRYSTAL CLEAR RED.
We will see how it comes out tomorrow.

The Antlers are Walnut wood, clear coated.
I know the real ones are probably painted...but I like the stained wood look.

bulb.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,

Looking good. What color felt are you using, and is it off-the-shelf or did you hand-dye? Regards,

Pumpernickel

Thanks Guys!
I got it on ebay.
I think it was called cinnamon.

I plan to hit him with a steel brush to fluff him up a bit once im done.

Frank, it's looking great! Like your antlers too. They make some small craft needles that are curved that make these miniature projects a blast. :)

Progress on the Santa face sculpt.....

13543_1218850466390_1082738501_30594566_2379944_n.jpg

And what he'll look like with his hair and eyes no thanks to my crappy photoshopping skills....LOL

10850_1219112032929_1082738501_30595493_3650457_n.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to make lifesize versions of these both to stand on my roof next Christmas.
I want to start with Rudolh first and make sure I finish him before starting on Santa. One will end up standing on each side of my Chimney, and of course Rudolph will have a red, glowing nose. Still have not worked out the details since the plan is only 2 weeks old, but thanks for this picture, it helps to get everything i can. :thumbsup

Here we are 1 year later! Did you do it? Any pics? :confused

I think I posted on this thread 1 year ago but never posted a picture of what appears to be a full scale Bumble! He came as a CVS Pharmacy exclusive on the east coast before CVS spread like a disease!

bumble.jpg
*Disclaimer - Not my picture but taking him out of storage reminded me of this thread and I forgot a picture yet again!

There was also a Charlie In The Box as well!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back