Silicone shrinkage issues?

Hez

Hoping someone can help with this, I used some por-a-mold thixatropic from Dick Blick to mold a helmet, and had a couple of issues with it. Firstly, it took ages to cure in a couple of spots on the inside of the mold, it was tacky for a while. Secondly, now that I've started pulling casts from it, they have what I would estimate to be around a 4% shrinkage on them.

Is this normal for this silicone, or did I get a bad batch? As it is I'm considering just tossing the mold and starting again with something else anyway, any recommendations?

I'm almost certain that that is a polyurethane rubber not silicone...

So yes shrinkage like that is probably happening, you won't be able to measure the shrinkage with silicone in most cases...

Confirmed that Sil-Mold line is their silicone rubber, the Por-A-Mold line is polyurethane...

Last edited:
Dangit...it was listed along with the silicones on Blicks site. I guess that's what I get for assuming. Mind, I just checked and Blicks never states that it isn't a silicone either. :unsure

Yes, and if you want the least amount of shrinkage (insert joke :D)
Go with a Platnium Cured Silicone, the shrinkage is negligible unless otherwise
stated in the tech bulletin..........

Ive been using this silicone from smooth on called Rebound 25, really easy to work with A+B and added a thixotropic to it didnt have any weird effects with the curing or shrinkage. If their was any shrinkage I sure couldnt tell to the human eye

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back