Don Post Deluxe Vader Restoration Project FINISHED! (Pic Intense--new pics page 3)

Re: Don Post Deluxe Vader Restoration Project (Pic Intense)

Dave,

Really great job, so that's what you've been doing . . . .

Robert

Fantastic work, looks like a real labour of love, you really have made it look the business :thumbsup

Well, at long last the DP is done. I've got everything about 97% where I want it and I'm finally going to drag it to work with me tomorrow to decorate the office :)

The helmet's gone from this:
LS_DP_005s.jpg

To this:
DC_DP_005s.jpg

I had some minor paint tweaks to work out but the major thing holding me back was the dome ring. After I trimmed down the ring on top of the facemask it never fit very well so I ended up grinding the "ashtray" completely off. I wanted to replace it with something that would help hold the mask firmly in place:

DC_DPDR_InsideDome_01.jpg

While I waited for the reek of lacquer to fade I debated about the best way to rebuild the attachment ring inside the dome. After running out of patience I bit the bullet yesterday and covered the top of the mask with "the handyman's secret weapon" duct tape. I put the dome in place then grabbed what was left of the can of Bondo-Glass and started to build up the new "ashtray". I started with the exposed back-half of the ring on top of the mask:

DC_DPDR_InsideDome_03.jpg

Then I put a big glob of Bondo-Glass on top of the mask to create the front half of the ring, patched and filled where needed, and cleaned it up with the Foredom tool and some sandpaper:

DC_DPDR_InsideDome_04.jpg

Once the ring was finished I installed the lenses and chin screen. I used hot glue so I can replace them when I get better pieces (the only chin screen material I have is New Hope style and the lenses are pretty good but a little flat):

DC_DPDR_LensesIn.jpg

I gave the dome a final polishing and here he is all ready to go:

DC_DPDR_Final_01.jpg

DC_DPDR_Final_02.jpg

DC_DPDR_Final_03.jpg

This has been a great deal of fun to work on. I wish I had more time--it would have been done six months ago but you guys with small kids know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone for your kinds words, helpful suggestions, and encouragement.

Cheers,

Dave :)

Update: I've changed out the chin screen to something I like better. Here he is now at the office:

VaderOfficePics012s.jpg
VaderOfficePics011s.jpg

Last edited:

Very nice job! So is the DP vader the helmet to get in the vader world? (sorry for my ignorance, I'm a fett guy lol)

Re: Don Post Deluxe Vader Restoration Project FINISHED! (Pic Intense--new pics page 3

Thanks guys, I have to admit I'm pretty proud of this one :)

Re: Don Post Deluxe Vader Restoration Project FINISHED! (Pic Intense--new pics page 3

Wow, that is way better than any "stock" DP Deluxe helmet. You certainly did this helmet justice. :) That has a very nice film quality look to it now. You should be proud.

Dave

Dupilcolor only makes acrylic - not lacquer,but I know what you mean! I use both Dupilcolor,and Plastikote. I can't believe that this is straight out of a spray paint can! It looks like it was wetsanded,and rubbed out! This looks far superior to the original screen used Darth Vader helmet which looks like it was painted with enamel,and fingerprinted to death! The reason for the gunmetal look on the original,was to make it look like it was high gloss from the right side angle of the mask,especially at close up shots which was what they used most of the time when filming Vader. This was intended to catch the light the same way that glossy surfaces do,only without a lot of light glare. Most people don't think about these things when watching movies! Just look at the filming angles the next time you watch starwars. Don't change anything about this mask- IT'S PERFECT THE WAY IT IS!!!

all duplicolor automotive paints I've used are indeed laquers.

Dave

I've never seen a DP DLX look this good, you've done a stunning job bro :thumbsup

all duplicolor automotive paints I've used are indeed laquers.

Dave

They call it lacquer because it's a high solvent based ACRYLIC finish,but true lacquer is made from NITROCELLULOSE,which is made from tree gum spirits. I used to be in the painters local union back in the day. This is where I learned about paint formulation. A lot of manufacturers claim something to be lacquer that really isn't because it has a high solvent base to it! Most people think lacquer is a generic term,as opposed to a specific paint formulation. Not to hijack this thread. This still looks good no matter what it's painted with!

Beautiful work, Dave! If only all DP DLXs could look that good!

Thank you again for all the kind words, gentlemen! Newbie Doobie--Interesting to know about the lacquer formula thanks for the info :)

It's cool to finally have this thing at the office like I planned so long ago. I work with a bunch of Movie/Sci-Fi geeks so no one was surprised when I brought him in (my Boss has Godzillas all over his office). I just said he was the new "Head" of the Complaints Dept.

Cheers

Did I already mention how awesome this helmet looks ? Outstanding job.

Thank you again for all the kind words, gentlemen! Newbie Doobie--Interesting to know about the lacquer formula thanks for the info :)

It's cool to finally have this thing at the office like I planned so long ago. I work with a bunch of Movie/Sci-Fi geeks so no one was surprised when I brought him in (my Boss has Godzillas all over his office). I just said he was the new "Head" of the Complaints Dept.

Cheers

Thank you for sharing this with us! This is truly a gift to me!

Cant believe thats my old helmet, awesome work!

Lovely job, nice work. :thumbsup

Beautiful work, man. Never seen such a great restoration of this helmet.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back