Fifth Element Police Blaster by HCG (review & photos)

Mike Rush

Couldn't see another thread on this, which means either nobody else has one yet, or nobody else cares. :) Anyway here's mine, and if I missed the thread please move or delete.

Packaging:

police1.JPG

Prop:

police2.JPG

No moving parts this time, even the trigger. I'm fairly sure they used to advertise it as having a working countdown etc, like the Korben gun, but perhaps they changed their minds after the problems they had with that replica.

So now you twist the dial on the left side and the lights come on. The digits are static, set at 333.

police3.JPG

Here's where the batteries go, under a panel cunningly held on with magnets. (Batteries are included!)

police4.JPG

Some of the right-side detail:

police5.JPG

The gun on its stand, which is a nice match for the Korben stand.

police6.JPG

One difference is that where the butt of the gun sits in a cutout, there's another magnet to keep it in place. This makes it even sturdier than the Korben pistol.

Important note: you may want to not put this prop on top of your television. Magnets do bad things to CRTs.

Under the base the print is in silver this time rather than white, and the edition number appears here too (handwritten).

police7.JPG

So here are the two weapons face to face:

police8.JPG

and side by side:

police9.JPG

This is a big hunk of prop, very solid and quite weighty. It's not particularly comfortable to hold and aim, but of course that's a feature of the design and not the replica! The finish is fine and the lights are bright. It would have been better if the trigger/countdown worked. Also I can't see why they didn't put different number displays on each of the three positions on the dial, but that's just wishful thinking.

I'll let others nitpick the details, but to my mind HCG have delivered another very nice prop at a decent price. This will go proudly on our Fifth Element shelf. :)

No moving parts this time, even the trigger. I'm fairly sure they used to advertise it as having a working countdown etc, like the Korben gun, but perhaps they changed their minds after the problems they had with that replica.
Thanks for the review, I have been a bit surprised that know one has posted about one of these till now.

Did they finally get the issue solved with the Korben blaster? I thought that some people received replacements with the same problem. Did your Korben need replacing and did it get replaced properly?

Great review! How much are these selling for?
$199.95

http://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/fifthelementpoliceblaster.html

Did they finally get the issue solved with the Korben blaster? I thought that some people received replacements with the same problem. Did your Korben need replacing and did it get replaced properly?

My Korben did need replacing (I suspect they all did) and it did get replaced properly. I should add that I didn't purchase from HCG - I was dealing with Propstore of London who retailed these. (Buying direct from the USA just isn't worth it because of the postage and potential customs hassles.) They replaced it without any trouble at all. :)

Clutch, do you know how big the originals were so I can compare?

I'm only going by my memory of what I saw in the movie. It's probably fine, I was just expecting to see something significantly bigger than the KD blaster.

My Korben did need replacing (I suspect they all did) and it did get replaced properly. I should add that I didn't purchase from HCG - I was dealing with Propstore of London who retailed these. (Buying direct from the USA just isn't worth it because of the postage and potential customs hassles.) They replaced it without any trouble at all. :)
Cool, glad to hear it.

HCG gets my vote for having dealt with the Korben problem in an equitable fashion. Well done. :thumbsup

I only wish I liked the design of the police blaster! :lol

Thanks for the review. I still want to pick one of these up sometime, I've always loved the design, even if it doesn't play a huge part in the film.

This was one of my first scratch builds, as I loved this gun so much. The 5th element design book has some pics of actors holding it, so comparing them its not that big a gun, sitting on the shoulder of the officer most of the time.
I think ( only a personal opinion as yet to see another one in person) that the gold is a little bright ?
Lee Evans, the UK comedian, who played the dippy captian, was holding a blue one in some shots, if you look closely.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back