Neckties!

The tie I ordered from Debenhams came today! It's the slim version of the tie that David Tennant wears in the upcoming 50th anniversary special.

Haven't even worn it yet, and already, I love it!

The slim version IS the tie he is wearing. The wide version has the pattern the wrong way round.

Look at this image again:

tennant50th-anniversary-filming-17april.jpg

Notice that the flowers bunches have one on the left and two on the right of each bunch. Now look at Steve's comparison shot:

laid+face+up.jpg

The slim tie has this configuration, while the standard has two flowers on the left and one on the right. The design seems to be rotates 180 degrees. Now, a lot of tie manufacturers actually make 50% of the ties going one way and the other 50% going the other to save on material, if they can get away with it (striped and other geometric designs often can be made like this with no difference to the final product). Only when there is an obvious "up and down" to a pattern this method of production can not be done. So, it is possible that both the slim and standard variations are available with the pattern going either way, so this doesn't necessary prove that the slim tie is the correct one. But I think this is what thorneyboy is basing his conclusions on.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

I just looked at the original images shown on the Debenham site and it seems both sample images show the "upside down" pattern (for the sake of accuracy we'll call Tennant's one the right-side-up version). That doesn't say much as the slim version looks like it might actually be a photoshopped/cropped scan of the standard tie (notice how sharp/crisp the edge of the bottom of the tie is). In any case, it'd be interesting to see if others who have purchased other versions can chime in as to which way the patterns are going on their ties.

Looking at the above picture again... the tie blade looks about the same width as the lapels... which would support Steve's guess of the standard tie being the one. I'm curious if anyone has the standard tie with the right-side-up pattern...

I think looking at where the tie goes into the knot is the best evidence it's the wide tie. It pinches too much to be the skinny tie.

Sorry guys... My slim tie just came in from Debenhams and its the reverse of what Steve has for his, its the same as his wide. Looks like they made the ties BOTH ways.

IMG_2893.JPG

Last edited:
That's about what I figured... so it looks like the standard tie might be the right one after all. Since our silk versions will be a higher price, I'll make sure ours have the pattern going the right way on all of them.

what are the odds the BBC production team bought several of each pattern, mistaking them to all be the same? I dare say they'd double check, but it'd be a great one to spot during the episode!

For anybody interested, Kohl's has a shirt by Marc Anthony that's a pretty good color match to this new one Tennant is wearing. I picked one up, I'll post a pic when my tie comes in.

what are the odds the BBC production team bought several of each pattern, mistaking them to all be the same? I dare say they'd double check, but it'd be a great one to spot during the episode!
That's an interesting question. I don't know if they cycle through the "identical" costume items, or just use one as a primary, with the others in storage as a backup.

If there are stunts they'll likely use a different tie. Other than that mostly probably backups in storage.

Just a little information about Tennant's new Duffer tie for the anniversary if anyone's interested. The wide version, blue version, whatever you want to call it, the one identified as the screen accurate one on Pumpkiny's blog anyway, doesn't really look like it will be back in stock. It's still not come back in stock on Debenham's website, although the slightly darker, brown/slim version has a couple of times. Anyway after speaking to the store manager in my local store he searched their system for it using the item number on the website, and showed me that it wasn't on their records anymore. He also told me that based on the item number he knew it was an item from last season, whereas the brown/slim was from the current season, so probably the replacement item. I guess it's possible that it will be back, but unlikely considering they had to cancel so many online orders already. So I thought that was that and decided to pick up a slim version anyway.

What blue tie? Steve's blog had both and they were BOTH the same colour. On the website they used different images (One was a scan and the other photographed), but they are the SAME fabric. Even in his side by sides you can see that...

Oh right! I forgot that not only did they use different styles of photos, they also referenced them differently....

Consistency people! :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back