Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Still plugging away on this. Nearing completion of lights on the upper left (of the dish) hemisphere.

A little worried about the right half of the upper dome, as my reference pics of this area are scant.

Oh, I missed those updates from like 2 months ago. Its looking good. I think most of the right side didn't have so great pics of, so some of mine I just made stuff up. But I know you really can't do that so much or it gets away from the studio part.

Would you all agree that the bottom image is the DSII...?

The red lines are the same size (though I presume Muren was a bigger man), and the circles are the same. I think the difference in size evident from the overlay of the red circles is substantial enough to override any arguments about depth-of-field, difference in size of the men, etc. Plus there is a picture of the DS1 in the back ground.

DS Comp.jpg

Definetly the DSII as it is only half a sphere. You can see the mounting plate on the back where it will be mounted to a flat board.

Ben

Howdy, I was looking at the next auction from Profiles in History and on page 388 of the catalog there is 36 inch lighted Death Star made for ANH and I thought you might like to see it if you haven't yet and see how much better yours looks. LOL.. But it is a studio built from the looks of it. Anyway, I think yours is amazing and I hope you keep sharing your work with us. Thanks
D

Howdy, I was looking at the next auction from Profiles in History and on page 388 of the catalog there is 36 inch lighted Death Star made for ANH and I thought you might like to see it if you haven't yet and see how much better yours looks. LOL.. But it is a studio built from the looks of it. Anyway, I think yours is amazing and I hope you keep sharing your work with us. Thanks
D

Thanks for sharing...

Generally, I respect Profiles In History and enjoy reading their listings. That one, however, is laughable.

$8,000 - $12,000 for a model built for a proposed documentary on a collector? Granted it was a hugely important find (the original model)... And built "to fne detail" by a former Disney Imagineer? This is it...?

I'm sorry - the tone of this post is certainly not to "dis" on your post at all. Thanks for sharing, and I find it intriguing and amusing. And the tone of this post is not to elevate my work or express any "holier than thou" sentiments.

But to expect multiple thousands of dollars for THAT is simply astonishing. And I think their verbal description is flat out deceptive. 36" in diameter? Can't prove it at this moment but I'd bet real money that is the TWELVE inch diameter off-the-shelf model kit...!

Last edited:
I totally agree with you and I didn't see what it actually went for but I was expecting a laughable response since it was looking for such a humorous quote!!!! And now if you decide to ever sell yours you know who to go to to get a really really really good price!!! But I'm' glad to share any info that may pertain to the subject matter you are working on.
D

I totally agree with you and I didn't see what it actually went for but I was expecting a laughable response since it was looking for such a humorous quote!!!! And now if you decide to ever sell yours you know who to go to to get a really really really good price!!! But I'm' glad to share any info that may pertain to the subject matter you are working on.
D

Rock on...! :cool

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back