Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Hi tried to do some photoshop on your original DS pics.. I overlaid photos and shadowed areas show that your hole (red shadow) should be smtg around 15-25% larger than the original. Knowing that camera distance and angle were different this is just a tentative mesurement.. IMHO it shouldn't be a big deal! I would leave it as is

cheers

Hi tried to do some photoshop on your original DS pics.. I overlaid photos and shadowed areas show that your hole (red shadow) should be smtg around 15-25% larger than the original. Knowing that camera distance and angle were different this is just a tentative mesurement.. IMHO it shouldn't be a big deal! I would leave it as is

cheers

That's really helpfull - so the white circle then is the original dish?

The hole in mine is 9 1/8"

I experimented with both 8 1/2" and 8" paper cut-out templates, taped to the dome. I didn't get around to posting the images, but the 8" was closest. I think 7 3/4 may even be better.

I'll do a template at 7 3/4, snap a pic, and post all the images. I will be cutting a new hole for sure, though. Mine is just too big. But it will make a great access hole in the back!

Here is an 8" diameter template:

ToPost007.jpg

Trench006.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mean to change subjects,but would the dish size for the "Star Wars" Death Star be the same as the one made for ROTJ?The two are differenmt models and wasn't everything bigger in size?

That looks better to my eye. The size is alot better. Placement looks good too.....I'm assuming you'll be bringing the equator closer to the circle. If not it may need to come down a couple millimeters.

Dave :)

The placement of the paper template is accurate. The dish is 1.5" above the equator.

Understand that on my domes there is no trench yet, so its harder to tell if the position of the template is properly juxtaposed with the equator.

This brings up an interesting point. Per the overlays, the overall shape/dimensions of my domes match the original nearly dead on. However, mine is not separated yet for the trench (the domes are not attached to each other yet), which will add a 1/2" in height.

So...

My domes are 16 5/8" but I should really have taken 1/4" more off each one to allow for the 1/2" separation for the trench. So I think that a more accurate measurement for the domes would have been 36" x 16 3/8"

sweet, that is exactly how I'd approached the trench. I figure that's how they did the original. Lookin forward to more progress. :)

Dave

I think that you've just uncovered a build order dependency... Build your trench before cutting your dish... If you're off you'll probably catch it that way... just a bit of advice from soemones who's screwed up more then once ;)

Jedi Dade

I think that you've just uncovered a build order dependency...

Absolutely. And there are plenty of those dependencies, no doubt!

The acrylic backing strip for the trench is 2" wide, so 1" above and 1" below the true equator. The dish is 1.5" above the equator, so there will be clearance.

However, the strip will clearly have to be installed prior to closing off the domes.

very interested in the progress so far. whats the wall thickness of the dome material?

id like to try a DS myself but getting domes that big in the uk is nearly impossible. by impossible i mean without getting my wallet repeatedly gang raped and left for dead in a ditch.

looking forward to the updates.

-z

The wall thicness is 3/8". Though I'm not 100% positiive of the original, I really feel that 1/2" is too thick. The 3/8" feels just about right.

The wooden ring currently is just test fit in place. It will attach to the central support tower (hopefully tonight or tomorrow). The ring looks like a cog wheel to allow light to pass through (otherwise there'd be a dark band where the wood is when lit).

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back