Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Impressive, most impressive Rob !

Thanks Julien! Will be interesting to see who ends up putting more time into their monsters!

I had a thought today...

I may mist these darker panels on the lower dome with a very fine white.

I do like the contrast they have now, but at the same time I think it is still a bit too rich/dark, even accounting for fading.

The grey speckling test failed, but over the entire model, I have applied a white speckliing at about 10% (10 white dots per 100 black), and at a finer level. Brad can attest - doing this adds depth and detail to the otherwise monotone black pattern (which [monotone] is the problem I think I have with these darker panels on the lower half).

So I think going with a fine and light white mist will:
--Even out these panels
--Add depth and detail
--Lighten them up just a tad

I'd like to commend your dedication and faithfulness (is that a word?) to the original model. This project is one of the reasons I check RPF EVERY day :D

Glad to see your awesome images and can't wait to see the finished Death Star :D

A number of members have posted saying they joined to follow this thread. That really means a lot to me. Thanks!

I had a thought today...

I may mist these darker panels on the lower dome with a very fine white.

I do like the contrast they have now, but at the same time I think it is still a bit too rich/dark, even accounting for fading.

The grey speckling test failed, but over the entire model, I have applied a white speckliing at about 10% (10 white dots per 100 black), and at a finer level. Brad can attest - doing this adds depth and detail to the otherwise monotone black pattern (which [monotone] is the problem I think I have with these darker panels on the lower half).

So I think going with a fine and light white mist will:
--Even out these panels
--Add depth and detail
--Lighten them up just a tad

Your Death Star is looking fantastic Rob, amazing work! Have you found a solution to the darkened areas that you had mentioned?

I was reading this, and was wondering about a tool that I have,

Badger 260

I believe that if you used it in short micro blasts, you could pull some of the dark paint off and give you the effect that you're trying to accomplish.

I would use it on a small test piece first to see the results.

Awesome work, I'm looking forward to more updates!:thumbsup

Last edited:
It is amazing how one can spend SO much time and energy researching and building such a project as this,
and yet MISS MAJOR elements...

I have had the following image for most of the duration of this project, and NEVER noticed the detail not only
in the blank band of the "arctic circle", but in the upper circle itself.

Cool and critical discovery, but now I have MORE work to do...

Check it out:

building-death-star-production-arctic-band-002.jpg-41010d1292784574

Last edited:
Wow, you are right about that. Good eye. I knew something bugged me with the blank band but I couldn't pinpoint what until you showed that shot. Looking forward to it. :)

Finished the dish this evening. Major milestone.

With the exception of the newly discovered detail in the arctic band and circle, plus additions and corrections, (and the continued darkening of the lower dome blocks), this pretty much marks the end of the surface detailing.

The darker trapezoids were tough. Still not sure if they're still a bit too dark. In some reference shots, the contrast reads quite great. In other shots, its barely there.

Tell me what you think.

Re: Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION - Dish completed 12/20/2010

I think I've got a new background picture on my desktop. Looks awesome. I hope when you feel like it's "finished" you post a couple nice high resolution shots so we can admire what is certainly the best looking Death Star on earth today. :thumbsup

I'm guessing, but given the time and love you've put into yours, and knowing how production time dictates the amount of time that can be put into studio originals, I don't think it's a stretch guess that yours is better looking than the original probably ever was.

You are getting dangerously close to being finished!! (except for the hole drilling of course ) Amazing build!

I'll tell you what I think... I think you're insane (but man do I envy that insanity)

Nice to see this looking so complete at last!
A little nitpick; I'm going to say I think the panels in the dish are too dark. Did you use a different grey? It looks a bit bluish. I think that level of contrast makes it look off.

Cant wait to see the lights!

Nice to see this looking so complete at last!
A little nitpick; I'm going to say I think the panels in the dish are too dark. Did you use a different grey? It looks a bit bluish. I think that level of contrast makes it look off.

Cant wait to see the lights!

Thanks for the feedback, and I agree that the squares may be a bit dark...

The darker trapezoids were tough. Still not sure if they're still a bit too dark. In some reference shots, the contrast reads quite great. In other shots, its barely there.

Tell me what you think.

As mentioned, some of the ref pics show a high degree of contrast - others do not.

building-death-star-production-dish-completed-12-20-2010-dish-005a.jpg-41169d1292990649

building-death-star-production-dish-completed-12-20-2010-dish-006.jpg-41167d1292990649

building-death-star-production-dish-completed-12-20-2010-dish-009a.jpg-41168d1292990649

building-death-star-production-dish-completed-12-20-2010-dish-017a.jpg-41170d1292990649

I may go in with a Liquitex Transparent White and go over the squares just to lighten them up a tad.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back