Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

BTW - the shot of Muren and the death star you can see a Star Wars poster in the background. Funny they had these printed up before the film came out, or is it an original?

That's the Chaykin poster that LFL had printed up to market the flick at SDCC in '76. It is one of the hardest SW posters to find... worth a lot more than the dollar that they were selling for! :unsure

Worth every cent. It ain't no normal print -- it is a giclée with some amazing detail. Signed by the man, himself. :cool

Here ya go:

http://reelcollectibles.co.nz/images/acme/star_wars/empire_weapon_death_star_acme_giclee.jpg

http://reelcollectibles.co.nz/acme_star_wars_film.htm

A little plug for some friends. :)

From what I hear, it was taken in between passes. The key was not lit, of course.

But yes, it is an amazing shot. One I always associate with being a kid and watching STAR WARS. :)

It is not the Dykstra shot -- as seen above -- but it still is one. ;)

And, Brian, I am NOT stalking you. :p

I knew somebody would know it. But the text says Richard Edlund shot it.

SWOTLTD01GC.jpg

Still outstanding.

BrianM

PHArcivist -

Have you seen the large close up picture of the death star dish in the "Art of Star Wars" book?

Yes, its my primary reference. But the shadowed portion is my bane. I may have to rely on screen-caps for it. In that photo, I'm just about finished with the portion that is well lit.

What, it's not done yet?

This is my favorite thread. I wish I had some pictures that would help you, that way you'd get it done faster!

You know Rob, you're going to finish this and some snot nosed kid is just going to come along and blow it up. Be sure to cover the exhaust ports, especially that small thermal one, right below the main port.

You know Rob, you're going to finish this and some snot nosed kid is just going to come along and blow it up. Be sure to cover the exhaust ports, especially that small thermal one, right below the main port.

Keep that punk Puke Skywalker away from my model!

Would you please, at least take a mold from your dish ?

For the folks who can try to built one DS more in the future..

Like me ...!
:)

Please do so...

And How did you bend it ? How did you give the inner angle ?
Good job...

Keep that punk Puke Skywalker away from my model!

Actually, it'll probably be an inside job by one of your kids. One day, after they've discovered the joy of firecrackers and model planes, they'll decide to up the ante and go for Dad's ol' model from that old STAR WARZ movie.......

Gene

Beeb - thanks man!

Rahman, I'll consider it. But I really have zero experience in molding something so thin.

Gene, I think it would take a handful of M80s!

Last edited:
He hasn't even gotten the thing built yet & you're all planning the destruction! :lol
I wonder if anyone has built one of these that has a destruction mechanism built in...
Not that you'd ever use it... but you know it's there...just waiting..:love

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back