Best way to cut sheet metal?

takevin

Sr Member
I plan on using using some 1/8g or 1/16g metal chrome or diamond plated sheeting in some various shapes. Some round, squarish etc, whats the best way of cutting the metal without leaving too much of a jagged edge to be grinded down? Most wont be bigger then 10"x8"? AS far cutting a hole in said shape, hole saw? Thank you

Last edited:
Aluminum or steel?

For aluminum you can cut with a table saw and a carbide blade, steel will be a little harder and you should use a abrasive disc in the saw instead of a blade...

Wear glasses, even though carbide cuts aluminum very well you can throw the carbide teeth if it grabs...

A decent hole saw will cut holes in both, just take it slow...

Aluminum or steel?

For aluminum you can cut with a table saw and a carbide blade, steel will be a little harder and you should use a abrasive disc in the saw instead of a blade...

Wear glasses, even though carbide cuts aluminum very well you can throw the carbide teeth if it grabs...

A decent hole saw will cut holes in both, just take it slow...

aluminum, thankyou for the tips :thumbsup

Plasma can leave a pretty nasty edge, though perhaps the aluminum is soft and thin enough that this is minimal?
You can also use a hacksaw, a bandsaw, water jet, laser or get it on a CNC machine for a really, really nice finished edge.

My little Miller Spectrum 375 plasma cutter can do 1/8 aluminum but I've got cleanup to do. 18g (40 thousandths) is no problem and if using a pattern guide or straight edge to guide the cut the edge is pretty good on 18g. What really matters for aluminum is amps as that dictates how well you can keep up with the aluminum's ability to disperse the heat quickly. I've tried 3/16 & 1/4 inch aluminum plate and 3/8's steel plate with it and it was not pretty. I ended up just breaking out my Bosch jig saw and going through a few blades.

Cheap route if its work table space is big enough is just get one of the little craftsman benchtop bandsaw and order a good bi-metal blade for it. Aluminum sheet likes to be cut in the upper 2k to lower 3k range which is what most wood bands saws run at, just don't try those speeds on anything steel. You could do quite a bit with just a good hand held jig saw too (I love my little Bosch one), some well placed manuvering holes for tight turns, and a few files.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back