Doctor Who - River Song Sonic Screwdriver with electronics

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been working on a lot lot of Who stuff recently, and this is my favourite so far - River Song's future version of the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver.

This is the 'open' version, which contains the electronic copy of River, as indicated on the bar meter at the end of Silence in the Library.

I wanted to have the emitter light up too, but couldn't find the right stepped lens, and my electronics skills are limited :)

The emitter and body housing are cut down and modified from the toy screwdriver, along with the bottom cap. Everything else was scratch built.

river1.jpg

river2.jpg

river3.jpg

river4.jpg

My toolbox:

river5.jpg

river6.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Doctor Who - River Sun Sonic Screwdriver with electronics

Looks great, I want one soooo bad. Although I believe its River SONG. Are you going to be making any castings?

Re: Doctor Who - River Sun Sonic Screwdriver with electronics

Looks great, I want one soooo bad. Although I believe its River SONG. Are you going to be making any castings?

Thanks for pointing that out. I seem to have dyslexia with the lady's name :lol

Casting the whole piece would be tricky due to all the hollow parts and undercuts. If the interest is there, I might offer to do some build-ups or kits for converting the Character Options toy.

did you scratch build it or is it based over the toy?
great work by the way:)

sorry did not read all the top properly
was to blown away with the photos

Last edited:
Excellent work.
How did you age the handle? Is the brass real brass or is it painted?
The pics of it look great.
Did you have to take any of the old electronics out or does it still make sound and light the tip?
Mobius

Excellent work.
How did you age the handle? Is the brass real brass or is it painted?
The pics of it look great.
Did you have to take any of the old electronics out or does it still make sound and light the tip?
Mobius

The only electronics from the toy is the battery holder. I could have kept the sound and light but the elongated emitter and the standard blue lens just didn't look right, so they're gone!

Wow, 136 views and four responses :wacko

I never know if that means folk think it's a piece of crap or if I should have done an 'in progress' post rather than posting finished pics :confused

Wow, 136 views and four responses :wacko

I never know if that means folk think it's a piece of crap or if I should have done an 'in progress' post rather than posting finished pics :confused

well with my opinion and a quarter you can make a phone call but i think this screwdriver is outstanding!

oh, and i have an extra screwdriver .... so if you're gonna start offering mods just let me know :)

again, outstanding job!! :thumbsup

Now that is one of my favorite Sonics, love that one, I read on another forum that the red and blue emitter lens can be found right at radio shack, you need a red setting, I can see if I can find that info if you want, let me know

Karsten

Now that is one of my favorite Sonics, love that one, I read on another forum that the red and blue emitter lens can be found right at radio shack, you need a red setting, I can see if I can find that info if you want, let me know

Karsten

Sadly, we don't have Radio Shack in the UK :(

The UK version was called Tandy, and went bust. I'll have to check if Radio Shack ship internationally.

Edit: Couldn't find anything on the Radioshack site, got a link? :)

Last edited:
birdie what did you use for the finger loop
is it a found item or scratchbuilt

The main ring is a pair of hoop earrings glued together :)

I'll try and put something together in the next few days. Unfortunateley I didn't take any progress pics (doh!). I do have an AI template that I drew up for the brass casing piece around the open section, if it's any use to anybody.

The main ring is a pair of hoop earrings glued together :)

I'll try and put something together in the next few days. Unfortunateley I didn't take any progress pics (doh!). I do have an AI template that I drew up for the brass casing piece around the open section, if it's any use to anybody.

Thanks.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back