"Golden Compass" Alethiometer - Noble Collection Replica (review and pics)

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK since I don't see a thread on this, I'll start one up... Probably the best thing about the film "The Golden Compass", IMHO, was the realization of the Aleithomter, the "truth measure", a gadget which, when read properly by a sensitive such as the film's protagonist Lyra Bellaqua, can reveal future or past events.

The film's depiction of the meter varies from the book's... in the film it is used more like a magic crystal ball, showing film clips of events. :lol (in the book it is just a mechanical device; the sequence of symbols which it indicates have to be interpreted to be understood).

Noble Collection has come out with a replica of the Alethiometer, and at around $200, it's both impressive and disappointing. On the plus side, the shape and size are right, and there's no denying, it LOOKS like an Alethiometer.

The case is a brass color, with a bit of dull coating. (the film props appeared more golden in tone). The lid opens when you push a lever on the case's edge. The lid is not spring loaded, and you can easily snap it shut by accident while trying to open it.

On the minus side, there are many things on the replica that differ from the props. Symbols (there are a million of them on the device's case) do not seem to match what the actual props have. Either the replica's parts have been assembled in the wrong orientation, or else engravings have been changed (well it wouldn't do for the replica to be an EXACT copy, would it...)

The operation of the replica is a bit of a letdown. It works on a spring mechanism: you open the case, set the three red needles using the crowns around the edge of the case, and then push a button (not present in the prop)... then the blue needle spins furiously and points to a symbol. By tipping the meter back and forth you can make the needle "seek" other symbols (in the film and books, a big deal is made of the needle's fluid motion, as "an unseen hand" guides it to the correct answer... not so in the replica).

And needless to say, the symbols do not light up, and there is no intricate gear motion in the meter's center. The film also adds computer effects to the practical prop, giving the device a golden inner glow when it operates.

Actually the practical prop is pretty interesting on its own (see photos below)... it is connected by ribbon cable to a computer console with shuttle dials, enabling the operator to "move" the prop's needle in real time, giving it a "living" quality. Very cool.

Anyway... the Noble Collection replica is affordable, and as I say, looks pretty much like the prop. With no other replicas out there or likely to be made, it's your only choice really. So I give it a "nice try" but still a bit disappointing.

Noble Collection Alethiometer replica

DSC04741.jpg

DSC04748.jpg

DSC04749.jpg

DSC04756.jpg

DSC04757.jpg

DSC04759.jpg

Images of screenused alethiometer props (from the film and the "making of" extras)

106.jpg

109.jpg

008.jpg

021.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

067.jpg

069.jpg

The working Alethiometer prop, connected to its computer console via ribbon cable

101workingalethiometer.jpg

Last edited:
The film didn't do well domestically in the U.S. (probably due to the "controversy" raised by conservatives over the books' anti-religion stance), but it did do well around the world.

New Line is apparently still kicking around the idea of a sequel, but I don't know if it has been green-lighted yet.

- k

I've yet to see the movie (it's on my list though). Great right up. Despite it's inaccuracies - it's a beautiful rendition of the actual prop.

BTW - Where have you been?

I'd say give it a look on DVD... it comes across more as fantasy than anything (parts of it reminded me of "Stardust"), and certain elements from the book are missing. Also there are too many scenes in the early part of the film which reminded me of Oliver Twist. :lol

But hey, if you like animated bear-on-bear violence action, this could be your film. :rolleyes

So not super fantastic but didn't totally suck either. On the Star Wars scale I give it a "Revenge of the Sith". :thumbsup

And thanks, I was gone partly due to some glitch in the board software that caused me to not be able to log in. Very baffling.

- k

I'd add to the review that from my POV I was a little let down by the obvious casting seams and the terrible cheap plastic "glass". There is also a sort of lacquered feel / look to the case.

I'm going to get the nerve together to strip and rebuild this at some point, If I can just work out a way in!

The actual prop's casing seems to be in the form of a one-piece brass bowl with a brass lid

058wz3.jpg

... with small caps covering the pour-holes in the face and back

066wy2.jpg

The replica seems to have three parts to its shell, plus the brass lid.

propvsreplicaprofileqc3.jpg

The attachment with the hang-ring appears to be screwed into the case, but I don't know if that's just to attach the ring or if removing it will help you take the case apart. It could be glued together for all I know. Maybe someone will find a broken one to experiment with?

Also the gearing in the prop is pretty intricate, and the little wheels in the center there, spin while the meter is "thinking" ... there's nothing like this in the replica, only three gears, and only one of them moves at a time, while you're setting the hands.

080gi2.jpg

If somebody made an electronic (or even mechanical) movement to fit into the Noble replica's case, you could have a fantastic prop... but it would probably be a huge undertaking. It would make a Star Trek stopwatch-moire communicator seem ilke child's play in comparison. :lol

- k

Last edited:
Mine seems a little less "golden" than yours (in natural light) - how's the finish? I'd say mine is a dull brass and a little lacquered.

comp1.jpg

Comparison of the face of both prop and replica. Overall pretty good, but get into the tiny details and the replica is not accurate. The gearwheels at the center, particularly.

On the replica there are two tiny pins that protrude through the face of the bezel (probably to reset the spring mechanism when the case is closed); the actual prop has four pins.

And of course the replica has a button (to make the blue hand spin) that sticks through the bottom winding crown.. no such button exists on the prop.

The knob in the center is blue like the "readout" hand in the prop; on the replica the knob is brass.

propvsreplicafacezp2.jpg

Goldenage, mine looks much like yours. I'd call it a satiny finish, over brass. I worked it a little with a microfiber cloth and it's a bit glossier now. Also my flash really blows things out and makes mine look far more golden and shiny than it actually is. In realistic lighting it looks the same as yours.

I'd call it a satiny finish, over brass.
Hmnn - I guess they are all the same.

I have a second "unit" waiting to be collected next time I'm in the USA and that's going to be my tester. I want to get it down to it's components, strip the finish and try getting it brass plated. I figure...why not, it's only money!

Well good luck and keep us posted on your progress... I think with a little work it could be a great replica.

Perhaps taking it to a watch maker might help you get ideas on how to take it apart and how it might be improved internally.

- k

That's a great DIY project. Before the film came out, Alethiometer replicas were mostly based on the illustration done for the book cover ("Golden Compass" was the book's US title, the original title is "Northern Lights")

n23213.jpg

Phase, in case you were also tempted.

It's mostly glued together along the seam lines.

The button that activates the swinging needle is irritatingly not made of the same material as the rest of the device: I think it's simply painted plastic.

The base metal is painted that bronze colour (A no brainer there)

If I can work out what kind of process was used (I'm guessing die-cast) and be fairly certain of the metal type I'm going to see about electro plating the metal parts with brass, At the very least it's worth dissembling to replace that plastic dome with glass.

Next up, removing the clockworks! Yikes.

Necro thread update

I was recently asked if I'd gone ahead with the brassing of My noble compass - answer: yes. I have 2 more stripped down on the workbench and one of them is nickle primed to be goldplated at some point once I cease being so damn lazy.

This is how they look if you put a little effort in, beside the "out of the box" version for comparison.

comp1a.jpg

comp2a.jpg

Has anyone taken one of these apart? Mine arrived with the blue needle loose, does anyone have any tips about getting in there? Even just removing the glass/plastic? Thanks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back