How do you paint someone blue?

jcoffman99

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Interesting title eh? My wife has FINALLY picked a Halloween idea. She's going as the Corpse Bride. She was talking last night about trying to make herself look blue. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Is there some kind of paint we could use with an airbursh? We're basically doing from the shoulders up. Thanks,

John

Interesting title eh? My wife has FINALLY picked a Halloween idea. She's going as the Corpse Bride. She was talking last night about trying to make herself look blue. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Is there some kind of paint we could use with an airbursh? We're basically doing from the shoulders up. Thanks,

John

There's actual makeup just for airbrushes out there, but I've never used any. I'd just Google "airbrush makeup" and something should come up. :)

Good Luck!

-Sarge

I've had good luck with the Mehron airbrush body paint. Not terribly expensive either. I wish I could remember where we got ours (My friend does the purchasing). Fxsupply perhaps?

Well, my youngest turned blue by virtue of his 1st Bday smash cake...

probably not the blue you are looking for.

n1315757790_104369_3115.jpg

I'd pick Reel over Ben Nye but remember it IS alcohol based so you'll want to go easy around the eyes. Ben Nye is water based. MAC also has a line of makeup if you happen to have a MAC makeup store in your town. MAC thinner also works with Ben Nye. The water type solution. Thinning it with just water makes Nye act weird.

If you get Reel be sure and order some sealer. Well, either makeup. You'll be thankful later if you do the makeup will last so much longer.

Shipping can be very expensive with REEL as it is a hazardous material and therefore pay a hazard fee on top of regular shipping.

I mentioned MAC as time is getting closer and one is more likely to find a MAC store in the area than REEL or BEN Nye. I can dig out the other stuff if you'd like me to give you other names of good body makeup.

I went with waterproof Reel(the stuff designed for waterworld) several years ago with my (ex)wife's twilek costume and it's awesome... expensive, but if you want to do it correctly, that's the way to go.

The hardest part is getting it off.

Edit*
I tried to post a pic, but it doesn't do the paint justice. For whatever reason, when I resave the image, the red looks much darker than it really is.

Last edited:
What about just regular smear on make up. Is there a type out there that isn't to..what's the word...cakey...something that goes on thin and smooth? Thanks for all the help.

John

If you do use some regular make up, I've had much better results mixing it with base (ask a girl, its how I learned) to get it to last longer.

I find that I really like regular Ben Nye make-up. It blends easily with shading. Be sure to use the correct sponge when applying it and stipple to ensure that it's even. Then just hit it with the translucent powder once you're complete. Ben Nye also has many different colors in different shades, so you can find the color you want.

If you do decide to go with the airbrush, be careful around the eyes. Especially if she wears contacts. The paint is atomized by the airbrush as it goes on and can flake off and get trapped under the contacts. It happened to much once and was very painful. Since I was no where near any solution or another set I had to throw them away and walk around blind for an hour before someone took me home. No fun!

I used PAX recently and was really pleased. PAX is a 50/50 mixture of Pro-said medical adhesive and Liquitex or Creatix. I applied it with a sponge, but you are supposed to be able to thin it and use an airbrush. It doesn't smear or rub off.

I used rubbing alcohol to remove it and used baby oil around the eyes.

I have done some looking around for good makeup for a twi'lek, but not tried it myself yet. I have only seen some in a makeup store.

The alcohol-based makeup use isopropylene alcohol. There are several brands available today. I believe that you could get a cake of makeup from one source and the alcohol from another - which could save you the hazardous s/ fee.
Because alcohol is a degreaser and evaporates quickly, it is important that you use a fatty moisturizer on the skin directly after removal.

I have lost my collection of bookmarks... But here are a couple links:
http://chucrew.com/Twilek/Twilek.htm
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8880

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back