Gears of War - Locust Hammerburst - COMPLETE NOW ON DISPLAY!!!!!

G17RDY

Sr Member
24/10/2011 - Update - Added Locust Knife, more Gears of War 3 goodies to come - Working on a new office prop room display right now!

c1fbe2d5.jpg

ac1ed3f3.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

Hello,

Well after a year, i have finally finished my Gears of War Locust Hammerburst.

I thought i deserved to open up a new thread after all that hard work, to make it easier to see the finished result.

Its my very first attempt to build and paint my own prop, and i am very pleased at the result. It has been a hard road, but well worth it.

Some of you may of viewed my WIP thread:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=35877

So it's done, let me know what you think, i do enjoy reading comments, it spurs me on, so please post your thoughts.

Well without further ado, here she is.......

HammerburstComplete2.jpg

HammerburstComplete1.jpg

HammerburstComplete3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Gears of War - Locust Hammerburst - Complete at last!!!!

Tottally badass!:cool

(And don't worry I received the PM with your directions for that thing I'm doing for you... I'm just painfully slow to finish it due to my job...)

Really, really nice! The worn-off paint weathering is a very good start too. Looks very realistic. Can I suggest a couple minor, polish items?

- I'd add another layer of weathering for rust. Do a wash using some browns and consider using flour and water paste, or spackle, patted on for a rust texture, let dry, then dab paint in dark rust tones
- add a raised Locust cross on the barrel
- the bottom half of the gun looks like it doesn't have any weathering. Maybe it's the flash, but if you're weathering it, it should be apparent in photos.
- The grip wrap is too bulky, wide, and unweathered

Great job!!

hammerburst.jpg

Absolutely fantastic. Awesome doesn't cover it. Kickass doesn't cover it. Cool doesn't touch it man.

I need more adjectives here.

;)

very nice build and paint job, whats next?

Marvelous work! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Do you plan to age/weather the grip wrap? It looks out of place being so new looking.

First of all thank you for the comments so far.

And to answer some of the questions

Really, really nice! The worn-off paint weathering is a very good start too. Looks very realistic. Can I suggest a couple minor, polish items?

- I'd add another layer of weathering for rust. Do a wash using some browns and consider using flour and water paste, or spackle, patted on for a rust texture, let dry, then dab paint in dark rust tones
- add a raised Locust cross on the barrel
- the bottom half of the gun looks like it doesn't have any weathering. Maybe it's the flash, but if you're weathering it, it should be apparent in photos.
- The grip wrap is too bulky, wide, and unweathered

Great job!!

hammerburst.jpg

Thank you.

To answer some of the points.

The pictures do not do the weathering any justice, as i have fully worn down the paint on the main body of the gun itself. The flash is bouncing off of the metallic paint i used, and not showing it as well as i would of liked. Plus my camera is balls!!!
I think picture 3 is the best example of the weathering, though it still doesn't show it in all its glory.
I never set out to do an exact copy, just my version, and always wanted a worn look, not a dirty rusty one. Once i got the look, i stepped back and said to myself, leave it, do not do any more, i have a tendancy to keep going, and eventually ruin things!!!

The grip, looks completely crappy in the pics, too new. The flash must of caught something in the material which made it look shiny and new. In actual fact the material itself is quite dark and looks rough. However i had planned to weather, but once it was on the gun, i thought, you know it doesn't look so bad not being truely weathered, so i didn't bother, although now i look at it and think, yup needs to look dirty, so i think i am going to go back and add some 'dirt'.

I gave up with my attempt at the locust cross, after some varied results, i could never get the cross just right. I may go back and redo at some point.

very nice build and paint job, whats next?

Thanks.
Working on a stand for the hammerburst. Got the idea, and plans, just gotta build it now!!

Currently building a cave troll hammer

Next............Thundercats sword of omens!!!!!

Keep the comments coming!!!!

Ok, so i now really want to dirty this thing up now, and add some rust. It is too clean, and after finishing GOW2 i have the bug again. Can anyone please give me some pointers on the colors used for a rust look and the technique in applying???

Very nice indeed :thumbsup I saw the artwork that you have there on deviant art and loved the design , couldnt see what you constructed it from in the WIP thread can you spill the beans.
:cool

The fellow doing the Wall-E 1:2 scale model has an excellent rust effect he says he achieves with iron fillings and vinegar. If you can find the thread (shouldn't be that far away) he helpfully gives tips.

Rust up that bad boy a treat. Beautiful display by the way.

Excelent piecs, but I have to agree with other members about the grip wrap. It looks like youve used custom exhaust wrap. This stuff responds very well to being soaked in water and applied very tightly, it will redusc the width of the wrap, and make it more like the screencap.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back