Silicone curing issue

Yodajammies

Sr Member
I'm using Rebound 25 from Smooth-On to do a couple fairly simple molds for my halloween costume and I'm having some troubles with the curing.

Are there any known issues with humidity / heat and the curing of this silicone? It's been rather muggy here lately and I've been getting VERY subpar results with this material. Cleaning up a half-cured, still sticky, 50$ (in mats) mess is starting to seriously aggravate me. :angry

I'm using Rebound 25 from Smooth-On to do a couple fairly simple molds for my halloween costume and I'm having some troubles with the curing.

Are there any known issues with humidity / heat and the curing of this silicone? It's been rather muggy here lately and I've been getting VERY subpar results with this material. Cleaning up a half-cured, still sticky, 50$ (in mats) mess is starting to seriously aggravate me. :angry

Rebound 25 is a fantastic molding silicone but keep in mind it's a Platinum silicone. Platinums are much more delicate and fussy than tin silicone's. I'd clear coat the heck out of my molded piece to ensure there's no contaminants on it that will cause the silicone to inhibit. The other thing is moisture 'may' have something to do with it too. I'd use mild heat to kick the silicone faster so it doesnt have time to inhibit.

Clear coat your piece....heat your first layers to kick them off quickly and keep it as dry as possible. That should take care of the problem for you.

Good luck!

David

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back