Education on hyperfirm.

I think the cost of a Mauser was to be around $80. I was going to do a fresh mold as the one pictured was the wrong model and from an existing older and lower quality mold. There was even the idea to offer up Han/Luke conversion kits as I had molded a flash hider, piston halves and sourced an original ANH style solo scope.

again, before I get ten more pm's,
im no longer affiliated with sci-fire or anything hyperfirm but thanks for thinking of me :)

I always wanted the E-11 but would rather have added my own T-track. That was the only drawback IMO.

The finish on all the Hyperfirms is so top notch, you guys did a great job with those.

Ive got one of the newer E-11's with the molded in T-track. I gotta say its up there with my MR westar's in quality and accuracy, and couldnt be happier.

...had also offered up the Calico as well,
xliarq.jpg

Hey Rob
Didn´t know, that you´ve done a hf Calico as well :eek
Even if I have a resin one, I might be interested in an additional one for another project I have in mind.

Do you still have the chance to get these?

Markus

Markus,
Ive no affiliation with anything hyperfirm and cant even seem to get a call back about my trooper armor I loaned John some three years ago now.

The t-tracks in the mold is another idea I went against for the original E11. You have one barrel fin bad and the whole part is bad. The failure rate of barrel fins was astronomical until we started using a different rubber for those small parts. The idea may have been to make the pulls quicker but I dont see how it could be cost effective with the failure rate.
Rubber isnt the easiest material to work with.

Initially, I too was skeptical of HF's high price tag.

Until I saw one up close.

The level of detail is unbelievable, and it's lightweight RUBBER. You can clock someone in the head or drop it on pavement with no worries. I've seen the Lewis, the E-11, and the DC-15 (long clone rifle). They're ALL awesome.

There's nothing better for trooping/costuming IMO. Totally worth the price.

I got one to carry with my Trooper. It's nice, and I can hand it to a kid to hold without worring that they'll drop it. It has just enough heft and you don't have to worry about those over zelous types giving you a hard time at the cons about your "gun" when it's a giant hunk of dense foam rubber.

Talk about coming aat the middle of a conversation, sheesh, lol.

As one of the original founding members of sci-fire (all those years ago it seems now yet no longer affiliated with them) I know all about the process as I learned it from scratch, sourced much of the original parts and then made most of the molds and parts myself (again back then, no idea what they are doing with the new people involved as of now).
The silicone is top of the line as is the rubber involved. EVERYTHING is done by hand and eye with very hazardous raw materials. Chemical burns to the skin, eyes and lungs are a constant danger with the said raw materials until they have been cured. Another danger is heat. Ive burned my hands to a pulp not only mixing and brushing the materials but pulling the parts from the molds.

There is also the trial and error period of new molds and pieces, sourcing original parts or fabricating them from scratch. The MG34, Lewis Gun, MG42 and the Sterling are all cast from real guns. There is the fact that the size of each piece = material cost in rubber and armatures (having already mentioned the cost of silicone and sourcing the original parts) and even materials needed to use/apply the aforementioned materials.

Few may know this but the Lewis Gun project cost roughly $5000 to make happen as it was a live fire automatic weapon. There was a good trial and error period with that project. You have a four foot tall piece thats made of durable lightweight rubber yet needs armatures strong enough to support not only its weight but the duties of costuming. There is also the volatile nature of the materials and implosion due to heat. I remember making parts then watching them implode on themselves, back to the drawing board....

The Fett rifles were parts I mainly helped source but didnt get too involved with other than molding and I seem to recall where the main problems started in regards to shipment. There was a serious problem to overcome with internal armatures. John, being the genious that he is came up with laser cut steel as the solution. The only downfall was the added cost of each piece but it was a fair trade off for durability.

I enjoyed doing the projects and didnt make money off the pieces. It was something I looked forward to until others became involved and it turned into more an mad rush to keep up with sales and non shipment but thats another story. It started out as offering the most accurate pieces possible for the best price with profits being returned to new projects. Ive no idea where the money goes now a days.

Wow, it's hard to believe it has been this many years. I was here during the 1990's. My Sterling was used for the mold for Sci-Fire. It is neat to accidentally run across this post from so long ago. I need to get here again.

Wow, it's hard to believe it has been this many years. I was here during the 1990's. My Sterling was used for the mold for Sci-Fire. It is neat to accidentally run across this post from so long ago. I need to get here again.

it was a very fun time and the start of something that eventually outgrew itself. Initially John was going to mould/recast a cheap resin casting he had until you loaned that Sterling... Thats where it all began.

Good times, good times.

The funny thing for me is how Star Wars was such a huge part of my life, for so much of my life. And now, it's lost it's shine.

In the meantime, I've been working on filmmaking on a filmmaking career, while still working my regular job. It seems like it's about to break, could be this year, but the current situation is slowing it down a little. I'll be retiring from my regular job in about 3 1/2 years and then I can work in film full time. I have a couple connections with good prospects, not great, but hoping by then I am "there."

It's good to see one of the old names here too. ;)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back