Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

Great, I thought they looked a bit odd. Now i dont need to run around and find some old drift wood to build it from.

/Conny

Those isometric drawings gave me flashbacks to all my classes in architectural drafting. I almost expected to scroll down and see some 3 view line drawings :lol.

Keep up the great work, Adam. Can't wait to see someone recreate the prop from all the info.

-Fred

Yeah, but I'm lazy. Who wants to dremel out a design, when you can use 20 tons of force to press it into something?

I like 20 tons of force.

Not to mention, I used the plates today with a fair amount of success on two leather bags. Wood however will require some real work.

Well since my woodworking skills are nearly nonexistent, do you guys think there's a box out there somewhere that this box is based off of?
I guess my search is on...............

Well since my woodworking skills are nearly nonexistent, do you guys think there's a box out there somewhere that this box is based off of?
I guess my search is on...............

My guess its based on boxes used in the civil war, because many things in the box are Civil war items and Abe was born around that time.
first_aid_kit_c._1860_Tiemann_open.jpg
Pannier.jpg

The front text, the latin phrase, as you will see when I post a nice photo of it, is laser etched into the wood. I believe that the BPRD logo is also etched (that's how I'd do it if I had a laser cutter) and then chiseled out. The laser would make the best guide for a chisel, and make it a simple operation. It's definitely not dremeled.

The outer shell, sides top bottom and folding front, are 1/2" thick oak. It really looks to me like they scabbed it out of an existing box or piece of furniture. I'ts sides are 1/2" fingerjoints that look older than the rest. The inside dividers look like a mixture of pine and oak planks. Mostly planed pine. Weathered to match the outside.
There is no plywood in the box, though that would be the easiest material to make it out of, considering the varying thicknesses of the pieces.
The drawers are pine.

The outer shell, sides top bottom and folding front, are 1/2" thick oak. It really looks to me like they scabbed it out of an existing box or piece of furniture.

The finished prop has definitely got the look of what's known as a "field desk" or "campaign desk," though I would expect the front to drop down to a larger writing surface if that's what they started with. It also bears a strong resemblance to an old machinist's tool chest with half the drawers knocked out.

I cook a lot with garlic, and those are definitely skinny cloves of garlic!
So, go to the store and buy a bunch of garlic an pick out the skinnier cloves and stick them vertical in a small jar with vinegar and a black lid!:cool:thumbsup

ya NEVER know when HB is gonna run into a VAMPIRE !

Okay, I own a few campaign desks and this isn't one of them. Honestly I think it's potentially a more quotidian piece of furniture. But as for the machinists chest, I shoukd make this clear, the drawers and ALL the dividers were added after the fact.[/I]

I should point out that on my first anniversary, for which the gift is primarily paper, I researched campaign desks. I eventually bought a new one out of teak from india and hand carved my wife's name it the cover, so I'm pretty familiar wtih the form.

I should point out that on my first anniversary, for which the gift is primarily paper, I researched campaign desks. I eventually bought a new one out of teak from india and hand carved my wife's name it the cover, so I'm pretty familiar wtih the form.
That sounds like a really cool gift! I bet she loved it! Nice job, man!

I'm trying to find a good source for oak, but specifically white oak. It's looking like Rockler is going to be my source locally.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back