Moebius Flying Sub self-contained lighting.

MML

As I'm crap at electronics, I've been reading up a bit about basic lighting, and thanks to this site:
http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
I've created a simple circuit for the flying sub. I decided to go "wireless" - I want to put the battery in the sub too. Here's my progress so far.

The hull halves will be held together by small magnets which I have on order.

That's the smallest 'latching' switch I could find. There are smaller switches out there but they have to be held down to stay on.

The problem is with the batteries. I'm using 4x 1.5v watch batteries held in place with a butchered-to-fit coin battery holder. They won't stay in place though.

Can anyone think of a better way to get a 6v or 9v (for brighter lights) supply in there? I'm determined not to let this thing beat me!

Being crap-plus-one at electronics myself, I'm not going to try to give you any advice on your lighting supply. :lol

I will say, though, that I'm very impressed by your work so far -- not just the build, but also the way you've gone about acquiring the skills you need to build what you envision.

Looking forward to some movies of this baby in action! :love

Being crap-plus-one at electronics myself, I'm not going to try to give you any advice on your lighting supply. :lol

I will say, though, that I'm very impressed by your work so far -- not just the build, but also the way you've gone about acquiring the skills you need to build what you envision.

Looking forward to some movies of this baby in action! :love

Hey thanks! It's been a learning experience, that's for sure.

Minor update, I drilled out the moulded bumps that represent the lights and put the LEDs in their place - see pics....

I also tried drilling in halfway and putting in an optical fibre, it didn't look too bad.

Wow! Very nice. I wouldn't have thought an optical fiber would look so good, but the thick gauge fiber you tested works quite well. The LEDs look briiliant, too. You're doing a great job on this build. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup

This is the Flying Sub that comes with the 1/128-scale Moebius Seaview, yes? And the photo etch detail set from Paragrafix? This is the first close-up look I've had at either of these kits, and I must say that both of them look very sharp! :love

Take a look at photo/camera batteries, or the ones used in car remotes or hearing aides. Also, you should be able to butcher some plastic tubing to make a battery holder.

Great work so far. I want to make mine self contained too.

Gene

Result! Redid a few things.
2 white LEDs wired in parallel, with 1 ohm resistors attached. Powered by 2x 3 volt coin cells in a coin cell holder. Using a small slider switch instead. Need to get it all into the sub body now - should fit better this time!
I need to find a way of getting light to illuminate the cabin.

Oh I forgot. Small neodymium magnets arrived today - need to get those fitted too!

Last edited:
That looks beautiful. And you've got resistors in the circuits, too. If you're going to learn to do the job, might as well learn to do it right. Very nice work! :love :thumbsup

I need to find a way of getting light to illuminate the cabin.

Would it be possible to use a small electroluminescent sheet? You could put one behind the circular holes in the starboard cabin wall... and even cut out the hexagonal pattern on the floor and put another sheet under there. (Weren't those illuminated in the flying sub on the show?) :love

Hazel Electronics EL Sheeting

Electro Luminescence Incorporated

AliBaba.com Electroluminescent Sheets

That looks beautiful. And you've got resistors in the circuits, too. If you're going to learn to do the job, might as well learn to do it right. Very nice work! :love :thumbsup

Would it be possible to use a small electroluminescent sheet? You could put one behind the circular holes in the starboard cabin wall... and even cut out the hexagonal pattern on the floor and put another sheet under there. (Weren't those illuminated in the flying sub on the show?) :love

Hazel Electronics EL Sheeting

Electro Luminescence Incorporated

AliBaba.com Electroluminescent Sheets

I thought about that - but I don't think it would fit in such a tiny space with all its associated circuitry!
I have some of these, though:

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0587737

Might try putting them on the ceiling shining down.

:eek That's gorgeous! And it's not even painted yet!

I love how you can see the interior cabin details through the windows. :love

:eek That's gorgeous! And it's not even painted yet!

I love how you can see the interior cabin details through the windows. :love

Cheers! :)
It's actually not too dark in there as it is, I might get away without another LED - I might be able to use some tinfoil or something to reflect the light about a bit.

That looks great!
Nice job, very inspirational.
I built that model when I was a kid, now I want to go back and rebuild one!

I've always loved the concept and design of the Flying Sub. And the Spindrift. And the Proteus. And the Jupiter 2... :p

I built that model when I was a kid, now I want to go back and rebuild one!

I built a Flying Sub when I was a kid, too, and, like you, seeing this thread makes me want to go back and build another. Maybe I could do a better job after all these decades. :lol

The Flying Sub we built when we were kids was almost certainly the Aurora model (below, left). The one MML is building in this thread is the new Moebius Flying Sub, which comes as part of their big Seaview kit (below, right; images not to scale).

2025844.jpeg

I remember that the outer hull on my Aurora was warped out of the box and I had a hard time getting the parts to line up evenly. Everything I've seen and read so far indicates that the Moebius kit is gorgeous. :love

Thanks, Pilot! :thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back