Doctor Who 'Blink' weeping angel costume

I was at Polaris here in Toronto, and saw a great weeping Angel, who either was you, or had followed your way of doing it, right down to the stocking arms (i looked for the stitching between the fingers)

Not me, but I've seen her in several pictures now! She looked amazing! And she did a really great job on her makeup, as well as her costume. Very inspiring. :)

My refurbishments to this costume are proceeding apace. Here's a sneak peek of my new "scary face" mask. The old mask was my first attempt at sculpting - and while I'm still not up to RPF standards, I think that my skills have improved with my second attempt! The old mask was modeled on a store-bought mask base. The new mask is based on a paper-mache mold of my head (paper towels and glue - much better than newspaper and flour), with paperclay sculpted over the top.

I also gave everything a much better paint job. What I like best if the result of adding a bottle of "pearlizing medium" to my paint blend. In person, this gives it a really subtle shimmer like you see in real marble.

blink-newmask-frowny.jpg

Hope to see y'all at Dragon*Con!

Gen

First time seeing this thread, the arms look fantatic! The texture makes it look much more like stone. I would have never thought of using panty hose, much cleaner than just painting your arms.

I too am looking forward to seein y'all at D*Con this year (I wasn't there the last time you were there). Do you have a general idea as to what day/time/place (e.g, Saturday, 1-3 at the Sheraton) you guys will be in costume? I really don't want to miss you this year.

Thanks, guys! I'm not sure what time the other angels are planning to costume up (the Parade/Saturday morning, maybe?), but I'm tentatively planning to wear mine some on Friday evening and maybe again on Sunday morning, with the possibility of other times if I get chance to meet up with the other angels like I really want to. Things are kind of up in the air, though, until I get more track scheduling information!

Thanks, guys! I'm not sure what time the other angels are planning to costume up (the Parade/Saturday morning, maybe?), but I'm tentatively planning to wear mine some on Friday evening and maybe again on Sunday morning, with the possibility of other times if I get chance to meet up with the other angels like I really want to. Things are kind of up in the air, though, until I get more track scheduling information!
Hi again! Yeah, my friend and I are going to wear ours at the parade. I don't know how early we'll be out and about before then though, haha.

We will definitely meet up with you at some point! We can switch info and give each other a call once we're there. :)

Your new mask looks awesome!

Thank you so much for posting this- I am making the exact same costume for a cos-play, Came across this- this is INVALUABLE. Your work on the wings is especially nice. Hope my turns out as good.

Glad this got bumped - I'm about to start on a build for my wife's Halloween costume.

This is seriously incredible work, very impressive!

Thanks - I'm glad it can help! I need to get around to posting the improvements that I made so that you can take those into account. If Kilayi posts her build, you really need to see what she did with their wings. She went with all soft foam over a wire armature, plus an incredibly intelligent harness design, with a final result that has totally given me wing envy.

Gen

Thanks for WIP pics! I've been wanting to do a set of Weeping Angels for me and a couple of friends, but I would have never been able to figure all of this out.

AMAZING JOB!! You looked great!

Thanks - I'm glad it can help! I need to get around to posting the improvements that I made so that you can take those into account. If Kilayi posts her build, you really need to see what she did with their wings. She went with all soft foam over a wire armature, plus an incredibly intelligent harness design, with a final result that has totally given me wing envy.

Gen

Wow, I'd love to see that! Really appreciate you sharing your build with us.

I was thinking of using the foam camping mats that people are using for Iron Man builds for the wings then riveting them onto a harness made of nylon webbing. That way they should be super light.

Gen
Oh wow, thanks! *blushes*

It was totally great getting to hang out with you!
I want to make my mask more "scary" like you did for your new one for next year, I think you did the best job at being scary... my friend and I totally feel like we were lacking in the "scary" department, lol

I'll post my build in the next couple of days. I am writing up a super detailed blog about the whole thing, and will post a new thread when it's done :)

Excellent job! Those statues freak me out, so I probably would have had a heart attack if you had walked up to me wearing this costume lol...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back