Doctor Who 'Blink' weeping angel costume

Now that is amazing. I don't see many Doctor Who costumes and to see a Weeping Angel? Damn. Now you know why Moffat took over after RTD, he's a great writer with unique and terrifying ideas.

It's an old tread, but I missed it the first time, so I'll chime in...

Great costume. The arms, especially, look great. I saw you at DragonCon and have some pictures posted on my costume pages. VErY creapy. I recall a lot of people shrieking!

Click for larger image

Thank you! I'm working on some improvements to this costume right now, and I hope to bring it to Dragon*con again this year.

Oh, man. What a fun idea for a costume! the feet and hands are an inspired touch.

Blink is one of my all time favorite episodes, and I was thrilled to see the Angels return this last season. Steven Moffat definitely knows how to deliver the thrills and a satisfying story.

What improvements are you implementing on the next version?

Thanks! Some of the improvements won't be very noticeable - improved wing harness, etc - but I'm working on a new mask and new sculpted wig which I hope should look a lot better than what I had previously. Plus a better paint job on the arms/neck for better blending.

Gen

oh my goodness...I am absolutely speechless at the utter awesomeness that is this costume.
As others have said, I thought I was looking a statue in the first pic. As in, I thought you were saying, "I wanted to do something creative and Doctor Who, so this was my inspiration." but then I realized it was you and I was floored. Absolutely spectacular job. I wish I was going to DragonCon so I could see it in real life.

Sorry I so late in posting to this thread, but I just got sent this link by a friend.
I am a big Doctor Who fan and "Blink" is one of my favourite episodes. I think you do yourself a disservice with your comments about the wig and mask. You did a fabulous job you looked great!
I have been making costumes for about 25 years as a hobby and I know that sometimes they don't come out to look exactly the way they do in your head - but believe me you did a bang up job here! I look forward to hearing how you get on with the upgrades!
MARTY

Just wanted to say that your cool costume piqued my interest enough to go ahead and watch the blink episode. It was the first Dr. Who I'd seen since I was a little kid (back in the Tom Baker days) and I really enjoyed it.
A very well written piece of sci-fi that stands on its own.
Thanks for leading me to it.

Martyfork, thank you, that's sweet of you! I'm just frustrated by the old wig/mask because I know I can do better but ran out of time. With the new ones I will at least know that I really did give them my best shot. :)

Max Replica, I'm glad to hear you tried and liked Blink! It really is an episode that can be enjoyed on its own merits.

Gen

Awesome costume:) I never thought anyone would be able to do a angel costume, but you really look like a statue in the pictures.
Again great job, I'll have to keep an eye out for you at Dragoncon.

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I think you did a great job, and I'll see you at Dragon*Con with my own Weeping Angel costume (and a friend as a Weeping angel)!

I'm going to do a lot of things differently, but your idea of using painted pantyhose for the arms and neck is wonderful, and I'm totally jacking it! lol

We should totally meet up in our Angel Costumes or something while we're there :)

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I think you did a great job, and I'll see you at Dragon*Con with my own Weeping Angel costume (and a friend as a Weeping angel)!

I'm going to do a lot of things differently, but your idea of using painted pantyhose for the arms and neck is wonderful, and I'm totally jacking it! lol

We should totally meet up in our Angel Costumes or something while we're there :)

Oh, cool! I would LOVE to meet up with some other angels! Especially if you're doing things differently - I love seeing how other costumers solve the same problems! Please do PM me if you want to talk shop in private. :)

Gen

Oh, cool! I would LOVE to meet up with some other angels! Especially if you're doing things differently - I love seeing how other costumers solve the same problems! Please do PM me if you want to talk shop in private. :)

Gen
Hi!
I'm not doing a blink angel but I am doing a Galatea from greek mythology costume and I was trying to get the same "stone" effect on the dress that you did for yours. Could I please as you some questions about how you did some of it? I'm especially curious about the hula hoop.

Hi!
I'm not doing a blink angel but I am doing a Galatea from greek mythology costume and I was trying to get the same "stone" effect on the dress that you did for yours. Could I please as you some questions about how you did some of it? I'm especially curious about the hula hoop.

Sure, feel free to ask! I'm not sure how much extra I can tell you besides what was shown in the pictures, but I'm happy to try. :)

Sure, feel free to ask! I'm not sure how much extra I can tell you besides what was shown in the pictures, but I'm happy to try. :)
Thank you so much! Your pictures were a huge help, but I was curious about how the hula hoop was sewn in. Was it on the underdress only or the top one too?

When I draped the overdress over the underdress, I pulled the bottom of the overdress down around the hula-hoop and up under to the inside of the underdress and tacked it into place. It's rather as if the overdress has hem that's got a hula-hoop running inside it. Does that make sense?

Edit: I think you can see here how the overdress is pulled over the hula-hoop and up to the inside:

bdress8.jpg

I was at Polaris here in Toronto, and saw a great weeping Angel, who either was you, or had followed your way of doing it, right down to the stocking arms (i looked for the stitching between the fingers)

Here's a pic.

Weepingangelatpolaris.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back