Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" Mask

chewbaccadoll

Sr Member
Just saw some of the "80 Hours of 80's Videos" on VH1 Classic and saw a block of Quiet Riot. Whoa, talk about memory lane! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had ever made the asylum metal mask from the videos/album cover? I know it's not movie or scifi, but it's been a coveted piece by me since I laid eyes on it. I bought a rubber one years ago:

presidentevilquietriot.jpg

but would love to get involved in a project making one or hook up with someone who has already made one. Any info?

Man, what memories. I had a metal one with the chain waaaaaay back when Metal Health was released. I wish i could remember where I got it.

I know there were some plastic ones that they (Kevin) would toss into the audience during shows and I saw a metal one at my local record show back in the day as a promo piece for the album.

Great idea for a prop - I used to want to make the A-HA comic book from Take On Me but could never find good enough ref pics.

Really? Cool. I never knew that. I really want to make one, but my lack of working with metals knowledge makes me weary. I might give it a shot though. Gotta get a decent copy of the 2 videos "Metal Health" and "Cum On Feel The Noize" to see side shots of it.

MetalHealthQuietRiot.jpg

Heck, you could probably pull off a decent copy using cardboard, thin brass sheet, and bare metal foil...

Last edited:
Doesn't looh too difficult... but gosh how far off is the rubber one! I guess I wasn't as picky as a kid!

Mark my words, I'm making one! Anyone who wants to help please let me know!

Now all I need is a red leather straight jacket! Where in the world would you get one of them?!?!

Oh, and "green" jeans... at least they look green on the album cover.

What a cool Halloween costume!

I made a Quiet Riot mask when I was in junior high school in 1986-87. I made it out of sheet metal in my shop class. The school provided the thin sheet metal. I used their Industrial shearing machine to cut it, after drawing the design first of course. I sort of, measured my face for it to fit. To make the eye holes I drew the rectangles then drilled a hole in each corner and kept drilling more holes along the lines of the rectangles until I could get a blade inside. After the eye holes were cut out, by just drilling along the line. The edges were very jagged and rough from drilling all the holes. So I took a file and filed them down until the edges were smooth. I counted how many holes they used for the mouth, from the album cover. Then drew them onto the metal mask with a sharpie and positioned them perfectly. Then I drilled the holes for the mouth. I also drilled out the nose hole and filed it down the same way I did the eye holes. Then I made a separate piece to cover the nose hole. Straps that hold it on, I made out of metal. I soldered them on using a soldering iron. Then I had to sort of, fold the mask in half almost, using a giant industrial metal bender in the school shop. For contouring I took it outside on the lawn and hit it with a hammer trying to round the face off in the cheek bone area. The whole thing is held together with solder. For the chains, I used a dog color chain. I still have it to this day its rusting a little bit. if I can add pictures to this I will.

I can't figure out how to add pictures to this. So email me at (gmaxroble@mail.com) if you would like help.

I'm on Facebook as "Max Halifax" I have hundreds of pictures in my F.B. albums, of costumes and masks that I do. My Quiet Riot mask, pictures are in one of those fb albums, somewhere.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back