REF PICS OF THE AT-AT

Hi Tardoc, welcome to the Studio Scale Modeling forum. Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about yourself. I'll let the maker if there is any, PM you with any info if there is any. Sorry if I can't be of more help.

Steve, I used the body off of the Tamiya kit and just added the round section from sandwiched styrene sheets and shaped with my dremel tool. I didn't add anything else. What I think I did compared to yours is I used more of the Tamiya kit body then you did. There's some small indentations that you can see on the sides of the one used by ILM which is part of the kit body, I left mine that way since that's how the original looked.

Hope that helps.

[edit] Sorry, forgot to add the picture.

at-at-4.jpg

Rolando

OK, I see! The thing that lead me to beleive that it was a part from a kit was the little square shaped holes on the side. I'll have pics up on my tub in a couple of days, there's still some sanding that I need to do. Yours really look dead on! Great work!
icon_smile.gif

Steve.

Thanks a lot for the advice to both Steve and Rolando.

And yes, I'm picky
icon_wink.gif
. I've spent 10 years superdetailing and transforming 1/35 tank kits for the main modeling magazine here in Spain so unlucky me I've developped some kind of 6th sense to spot unaccuracies.

But you make a standing point about the time is worth money, one has to decide how much time can be devoted to a project and how much that time is worth.

Please keep posting that photos.

Sergio

Well, here's my tub.

my%20butt%20tub.jpg

And here's the ref pic I used for it.

butt tub comp_1.jpg

Rolando, I noticed that you didn't build the "step" under the the grill parts on the German car but made it smooth instead. Did ILM use two butt tub versions? Please see the blue arrows.

Does somebody know which parts was used on the back side?

Steve.

Steve & Rolando

In Steve's Reference pic, the Chieftain Suspension piece is on the top. But with both your "butt tub" parts, it's on the bottom. I'm I missing something?

Dan

"Vinyl Guy

Its actually an armature plug and some bozo has put on upside down on the filming miniature. Rolando's and Steve's are correct. Great Job guys!

Steve

Steve, your "butt tub" is lookin mighty fine. I forgot to do the step down on mine. Looks like the ILM guys just filed it down some on each side, not sure why. I also need to add the grill part that's missing on mine and a small detail that fills the square hole on the suspension part.

Dan, as Steve #2 mentioned, from the time the model was filmed to how it looks now, this part cluster has been turned upside down as is the case on some of these models today. I figured I wanted mine to look as close as possible as to when it was filmed.

Rolando

Great work, guys!

In that ref pic, looks to me that the hatch cover part doesn't angle back to touch the part beneath. Perhaps a spacer was behind it.

Hi guys

Could you post a picture of Ronny's back peice placed next to your own. I'd like to see the difference, scale and accuracy wise. Thanks.

Metamorphic

Sure!

Here's the original kit part beside my scratch built "ILM sized" tub. As you can see the original kit part is bigger but I think it was Rolando who pointed out the it was out of scale (to big) even for it's own kit body. I have dry fitted my new tub and it works perfect!
icon_smile.gif

tub comp ronny.jpg

Steve.

Oh, BTW! I was reaserching the feets some time ago and found some new details that I haven't noticed before. Have anyone seen the "Flackvierling" parts before on the top of the feets before? There are three (doesn't show in this pic) of the circle part per foot.

flackverling detail_1.jpg

Steve.

Wow guys! This is great stuff... I am getting ready to launch myself back into kitbashing after a 25 year hiatus and this board is awesome to give me some inspiration. Steve, you do excellent work man! Not only do you have a kick-a$$ helmet etc. collection but you are one hell of a modeler!

Keep up the good work guys! Anyone know the kit builder of this AT-AT? Please PM me if you could... I would love to have one.

TimH.

Well I am now a member of the ATAT club. Steve N has done a great job and what castings, WOW!

As soon as I got this piece I went to ebay and bought the kits needed for the rear tub, thanks Rolando.

Cool stuff guys, maybe I can share some photos once I get this beast underway!

Paul

Paul,

As mentiond in the return PM.. All thanks goes to the real Master Caster our to be unnamed Friend up North! All credit goes to him!

Finishing modified hull and rear detail pieces to be sent for molding soon...will let the board know when they are ready.

Paul the ENDO rocks!

Steve

Here's another part that needs to be ID'ed.

belly botton_1.jpg

I have talked to Rolando about the belly button detail and non of us knows what it's from. Does anybody know what kit the detail comes from? It's certainly not from the Saturn rocket, that's for sure.

Steve.

Hi guys, love what i've been seeing. I'm going to buy the smt AT-AT kit and i would appreciate anything you could tell me about making this sucker as accurate as possible. keep rockin .Chad

Well I don't think you'll have much luck with the SMT Walker since everything is pretty much off on it. I have seen pics of both the parts and a finished one and I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Steve.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back