Any tips on using floral foam? Carving, shaping, etc

Coz

Sr Member
Looking for tips on carving, shaping & otherwise working with floral foam for propping. Just a general overview, dos & don'ts really.

I'm looking at throwing together a quickie (think stunt) Proton Pack for a Ghostbusters Halloween costume. Nothin' like last minute, right?

Now, there is no chance in hell I can run up a proper pack in time (I can be pretty shiftless), so I figured to make an approximation using green (fine, wet type) floral foam (Oasis) coated in something to give it a little more rigidity.
Not looking fo permanance here. Probably use foamboard and styrene sheet too, as I have those already.

Basically block out the shape on an ALICE pack & MDF motherboard, then I can upgrade without any real sacrifice.
Also to help me get familiar with the pack layout for a more accurate build later. Plans I've got, so not a problem.

Any info on this stuff? Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,
Coz.

I tried using to once an the crap crumbled every time I touched it. Very very soft. I tend to use the hard foam sheets and blocks from Michael's. Can be cut with a knife and is much more durable.

EDIT: Didn't see that you were in the UK, so Michael's isn't an option for you :lol Still, it should be available somewhere over there :)

Your better off using the insulation foam from a Hardware or home improvement stores. It comes in big narrow sheets,blue and pink i believe,been awhile since i used it. What you do is, layer it to the desired thickness with spray adhiedsive. And trace out your basic shape and cut it with a small hand saw and start sanding away!!!!

I used similiar stuff in college, but it was of 5-10lb density.

Floral foam is a tad too soft.

I used kit knife, sand paper, fingers, rasps (curved+straight),various saws,

you name it.

After carving it, your better to seal it with elmer's glue/water milky mix or
a automotive clear coat.

Don't want dust flying all over the place.

my best advice WORK OUTSIDE the green crumblies that come off of it is annoying to clean up. you could sand and cut it and once you get the basic shape, paper mache it!:thumbsup to make it more durable, you can coat it with tons of thin coats of clear coat before painting it. Probably the cheapest quickest way.
good luck!
-Scott

Thanks for the info guys!

What should I be looking at for gluing this stuff? Wood glue & hotglue, I guess?

I've got some of the 1/2" yellow dense foam plus foamboard, so if all else fails, the floral foam will just be the base / core. The wreath bases are available in 10 & 12" diameter so approximates the spacer & cyclotron.

Thanks again! Will post picks when I have something worth showing! :)

C.

the things I have made, I used elmers glue and/or wood glue. Everyone keeps saying it's too soft to use BUT consider what you're making, a quick easy proton pack,something you wear on your back for halloween not a crash helmet.
I still highly suggest covering it in paper mache( glue,water,flower)mix them up to maybe a pancake batter thickness and dip strips of newspaper in it. when it dries, its quite stiff! Too bad I live across the pond from you, I'd even help you build it.=-P

Good Idea goldenrod, If you you use spray can enamels on bare foam, it WILL melt it. so if you plan on spraying it, make sure the foam is coated in something first...maybe like paper mache?

Foam is a generic name for a material that can be styrene, polyethylene, or urethane based. Not all materials are compatible. Always test on a scap if there are any doubts.

Little tip: since this stuff will crumble if you will apply the glue with a brush, I suggest to use a spray bottle with diluited glue and cover the entire surface, wait a day and spray it again, and repeat this operation at least for 5 layers of glue, then start working with more glue or directly with paper mache, then, when the surface is hard enough you could also fiberglass it!
Or, to make everything faster, use insulation foam, sealed and covered with a body filler, or fiberglass... You decide!;)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back