Original ESB Walker Pilot Helmet

Every now and then we get a really great opportunity to see something special at StarWarsHelmets.com and this is one such example. Just over a year ago we were contacted by the owner of an original AT-AT helmet and following discussions, I was able to recently visit and put the following review together of a long-lost piece of Star Wars history. Enjoy!

atat_screen01.jpg

For The Empire Strikes Back, Lucas needed some new Imperial characters to drive the AT-AT’s and John Mollo, the costume designer opted for an amended "white" version of the ANH-used TIE Fighter helmet. I use the word "white" in quotes since the first thing to say about this helmet (and therefore presumably the armour) is that in reality they weren’t white at all - but were in fact painted glossy grey. When I last met up with John Mollo some while back we discussed the AT-AT helmets but not in great detail hence its something I’d like to pick up with him again.

swh_at-at_01.JPG

To be clear we're not talking an off-white, milky-white or white with a hint of grey - these helmets were GREY and photos from the early eighties back this up - this isn't aging paint. As you can see the helmet is in great condition. Turning our attention to the helmet is clear that despite it missing some of its greeblies, its still in really great condition. The grey paint is in a pretty incredible state for paintwork over 30 years old. Unlike the HDPE material most Stormtrooper helmets were made from (which is notorious in its ability to reject paint), the ABS used on these has positively welcomed the new grey spray paint - giving a finish that doesn’t look far different now from what was seen on screen back in 1980.

swh_at-at_02.JPG

If you take a look at The Empire Strikes Back its amazing how little of this iconic helmet you actually see on-screen. Only one helmet is seen from the front and a possible four from the rear. Its worth pointing out at this stage that this helmet is NOT the one seen front-on - the detailing around the eyes and position of various tells (including the angle of the red cogs) makes this clear in my mind. Its therefore my view that the AT-AT seen front-on is most likely the one owned by Jim Stephenson which was stolen mid-90’s, never to be seen again.

The cog decals are a higher quality than those used on ANH, this time I red they’re printed on better quality backing and have a glossy lustre. Interestingly they have the same asymmetry as the ANH Cogs. The tube stripes look like black masking tape, cut to the required shape on the helmet. You can still just make out the remnant pencil marks where the cut lines have been drawn.

swh_at-at_05.JPG

Interestingly the front metal tusks did not connect directly into the front tube slots – instead there was a separate thick white circular plastic “thing” - possibly a found plumbing part - that pushed the tusks forward. I have a couple of sets of metal tusks for my helmets and although very accurate to the eye – they are just a little too small and are only a single-piece design - whereas the originals have an outer sleeve and separate inner "nib" sections.

swh_at-at_11.JPG

The rear pill-box looked just the same as the original TIE's - although in this instance it had been glued shut and despite much prompting did not want to open. However it had the same spring loaded mechanism present on the TIE box and as I’ve always said is probably a record player needle box or possibly a box for storing plectrums. Having spent a considerable amount of time with this helmet, and investigating the suject its my considered opinion that its the same one as seen on the Kenner figure packs and in the Visual Dictionary as was photographed on set for the promo pics sometime in 1979

swh_at-at_00.jpg

Just to show off how grey these were, here's a comparison against an all-white WIP replica At-At.
swh_at-at_colour01.jpg

More pics and info on my site

Get yer grey spray cans out AT-AT fans!

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for sharing these great pics Jez - absolutely amazing that such a rare original helmet has survived all these years, relatively intact. :thumbsup

Although, looking at the grey colour of it I'd definitely say that it failed the 'Daz Doorstep Challenge"! :lol

Great helmet and definitely 'one of a kind'.... I'm gonna go clear space on my shelf for it now! :love

Cheers,
John

Thanks for sharing Jez. Great find. Now I am just counting down the minutes until we get a post with some of the sellers offering a new AT-AT helmet that is grey... Hope they give the credit where credit is due!

Thanks Jez,

This helmet is my real passion (and an obsession) when it comes to greeblie hunting. Shame it is missing the ones on the forehead and the ones between the brow and the faceplate they could have given some good clues :(

I will find them all :)

Well at least that is what I keep telling myself.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
WOW..absolutly amazing. I would never have thought grey. Poor Clutch he did such an excellent job on on his helmet I planned on using his thread to help me complete mine and I still will.
I just dont know if I would have the heart to paint it grey even knowing that would be the correct color.

Awesome read! Thanks for sharing......I would have never guessed how gray it actually was until I saw the side by side shot next to a white one!

:thumbsup

Steve

Great info. Jez, thanks! Just goes to show that what we see on film can often be quite different in reality. However, I would definitely call that colour light gray.

Thanks for the comments guys, as always Its a pleasure to share.

Jez,

Just for a mega accuracy check what numbers are inside the BOC soda CO2 holders?

I have 1, 2, 3 and 4 on different ones I have :lol

Cheers Chris

Thats kind of accuracy is just being completely anal Chris!

oh... 1 on (his) left, 4 on right :lol:lol:lol

As far as the tube stripes are concerned, up close you can even see the cut line at the ends where they cut the length of the stripes on the helmet itself. Its possible its pinstriping, do they normally come in that thick-middle-thin style?

Cheers

Jez

WOW, i´m speechless right now, what a find!
thanks for sharing these pictures with us, jez!

i´m happy there are still helmets out there, waiting to be discovered!

i always thought the helmets were more grey than standard stormtrooper helmets, but that´s more grey than i expected! and finally a better picture of the rear canisters... :eek:thumbsup(y)thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back