Costuming advice and tips - Helmet from 300

JudgeSabersmith

My fiance and I are planning to go as Leonidas and Gorgo for the annual Halloween party we attend. Since we've both been mindful of our exercise routines, we can each pull off the costumes nicely.

That being said, I had been searching for a reasonably priced Leonidas helmet. The ones I liked, I could not afford and the ones I could afford, I did not like. The old catch-22.

Therefore, I am hoping to make my own. I will be in uncharted territory with this. My first idea is to make a dummy of my head, using plastic wrap around my head and face (leaving room to breathe) and then using papier mache to give substance to the "dummy". I could then remove the dummy, stuff it and have a base from which to craft my helmet. Sound reasonable so far?

This party is not the place for 100% authenticity. As long as it is representative of the costume, it will be good enough.

I don't suppose anybody has a good profile shot and frontal shot of Gerard Butler in the helmet I could see to get an idea of scale and dimensions in relation to facial features?

I appreciate the offer to get me in. Not necessary. I'll look through what they have. I'm on too many forums as it is and admin my own, so I just can't be bothered to keep track of yet another forum.

I was more concerned with my methodology of how to build the helmet than I was the accuracy of the finished product. Does anybody see any glaring holes in my methods?

Heres a helmet I just did for a fellow member

IMG_9459.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

IMG_9463.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back