Can anyone cut words into sheet metal or acrylic?

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need a piece of sheet metal lazer cut with some words. Basically I'm going to back light it and use it as a plaque for a project (see HERE for details. It would probably be 6 or 8 inches long and maybe 4-6 inches tall give or take a few inches.

I've even considered an opaque silver acrylic with the words machined out.

Last edited:
Re: Can anyone cut words into sheet metal?

I need a piece of sheet metal lazer cut with some words. Basically I'm going to back light it and use it as a plaque for a project (see HERE for details. It would probably be 6 or 8 inches long and maybe 4-6 inches tall give or take a few inches.

Look for someone in your area that does laser cutting of metal and ask them.

Any idea what that would be under in the phone book?

We have a CNC plasma table..probably not good enough quality for what yo are looking for. For laser cutting we can go to one of our steel suppliers, so I would look up Steel Suppliers and fabricators in the yellow pages and call around.

Good luck!

Try "Metal Fabrictors" or just Fabricator. Just remember that the more intricate the design the more expensive. If it is to be cut out of a material they don't normally stock, they may charge for a whole sheet. If you can, try to submit to them a dwg or dxf file that is ready to cut. If you send them anything else it will take some engineering time to redo it.

Good luck!

I'm also thinking maybe I could use a sheet of silver acrylic and then cut the letter in that. I dunno though. I will check with some fabricators and see what I can come up with.

I don't even know how to make a dwg or dxf file

That's too bad...a dxf file would be great then they won't charge you for drawing time and you will get exactly what you wanted.

Edit..

Text can be a real nightmare if they don't have software that can use fonts and make a CNC code from that. For text we have to trace it all as lines and arcs in Autocad..one letter at a time. VERY tedious!

Last edited:

If you call around ask if they can do text without having to trace it the hard way. If not a simpler font will be your best bet!

If it is simple enough I could try to make up a dxf file for you...but an elaborate font I wouldn't have time for.

No problem..if you can do a version up as a jpeg (windows paint or whatever) I could trace that.

Hi mate if you still need it done , I can shoot you a price, Just send me an email with the sizes etc how think you want the sheet and the lettering!! :thumbsup

russt33@msn.com

Russ

Also try 'Die Cutters' for the packaging industry. Many of them use lasers nowadays.

I've supplied Adobe Illustrator EPS files of text that has been converted to paths. They had to convert them, but it didn't seem too much of a problem.

Hi mate if you still need it done , I can shoot you a price, Just send me an email with the sizes etc how think you want the sheet and the lettering!! :thumbsup

russt33@msn.com

Russ

Thanks russ, I will be in touch soon with those measurements. I may go with acrylic instead but I definitely want to see what you can do since metal is my first choice.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back