Now Finished Custom Shield of Gondor (Lurtz shield next!)

SirJediKnightTim

I wanted a Gondorian shield without dropping $275+ for the UC version. Here is my custom that I started working on today. I got a long way, but it took most of the day. I only need to add the tree of Gondor, which I'm going to do in silver paint. I want to display it next to Aragorn's weapons.

It measures 41" tall x 24" wide. I used plywood, and black stain. The metal is galvanized sheet metal, that I cut with snips. The "rivets" are upholstery tacks. I drilled 2 holes thru the shield to add a chain in the back, to hang it by. I will paint the bolts black.

It is a flat shield, but some of the Gondorian knights in the ROTK do use flat shields like this one.

It should be done, and hung this week.

What do you guys think so far? Be kind :lol, remember, this is not a $275+ UC shield.

SHIELD2.jpg

SHIELD.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My Custom Shield of Gondor

Looking good!:thumbsup

That baby is on my "to do" list, too. Maybe someone can post apic of the handle side of the UC version (hint, hint)

Excellent! It really doesn't look flat..I guess because of the shape of it.

I plan to make one too, but the other version.
I got lots of pics of the UC and I'll try and get you guys a pic of the back.

Here it is.

UCGondorianSheildBack.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the compliments!!

I drew a picture of the version of the tree of Gondor that I like best, and cut it into a stensil.

I already put the chain on the back, and it is still really wet. Just waiting for it to dry so I can hang it next to Anduril.

My total cost was around $35.00, and 2 days of work.

SHIELD3.jpg

SHIELD5.jpg

SHIELD4.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!!

I drew a picture of the version of the tree of Gondor that I like best, and cut it into a stensil.

I already put the chain on the back, and it is still really wet. Just waiting for it to dry so I can hang it next to Anduril.

My total cost was around $35.00, and 2 days of work.

You 'da' Man! Great job!:thumbsup It would have cost me three times as much and twice the work time.:redface

Nice work, I think it would've looked better if you constructed it using planks of wood, also is the black paint at the bottom of the tree where the stencil ran a bit?

Like I said, great looking sheild for a few days work and I'm sure it'll look great next to your LOTR stuff!!

Nice work, I think it would've looked better if you constructed it using planks of wood, also is the black paint at the bottom of the tree where the stencil ran a bit?

Like I said, great looking sheild for a few days work and I'm sure it'll look great next to your LOTR stuff!!

I still have some touching up to do. You know how stensils can be. Then I'm going to seal it.

I still have to add the sealer later tonight after work. It will blend in my touch ups too. Some of the gloss from the silver paint, made my touch ups a little glossy. So when I put the coat of semi-gloss over the entire shield, it will look uniform. But here it is on the wall with my made in China Anduril.

SHIELD10.jpg

Very, very, VERY Nice!(y)thumbsup I know you can see your display really well up against a light colored wall, but how good are you at faux finishing...what about a "castle brick" wall painting for the background :love Just me brainstorming on a similar display for myself.

Very, very, VERY Nice!(y)thumbsup I know you can see your display really well up against a light colored wall, but how good are you at faux finishing...what about a "castle brick" wall painting for the background :love Just me brainstorming on a similar display for myself.

I'm renting, so I can't do much with the walls. But I'm going to be adding a lot of green leaves, to give it an outdoor look.

Now that the Gondorian shield is done, my next project is something that I have wanted since I saw the Lurtz, his shield. I want to display it next to Aragorn's Elven knife. So I started banging this out last night.

GondorShield.jpg

Uruk-HaiLurtzShield.jpg

Dude! You are the man!
I want a Lurtz Shield too!! :cry .. :lol

BTW, not to far off topic(i think), but, I noticed your add wanting the Uruk sword hanger..It will not work with the elven knife because there is only a skinny slot that holds the sword in place..much like the hadhafang stand..so to make it work you'd have to do some alterations.
If you already knew, sorry to be captain obvious :p

Dude! You are the man!
I want a Lurtz Shield too!! :cry .. :lol

BTW, not to far off topic(i think), but, I noticed your add wanting the Uruk sword hanger..It will not work with the elven knife because there is only a skinny slot that holds the sword in place..much like the hadhafang stand..so to make it work you'd have to do some alterations.
If you already knew, sorry to be captain obvious :p

Thanks for the compliments! And if the shield ends up the way that I want it too, I may make more :love

I don't have the United Cutlery Elven Knife of Strider. I have a "made in China one" that I like much better. The curve of the blade is more like the one that he used in the movie, plus it's about 4" shorter, which I like better too. I ended up using some scrap of wood from the Gondor shield, and I made a plaque for it. I used the "hooks" from the ends of a bungie cord for the hooks. It turned out really nice. And it only costed me $6 for the paint.

elvenknife.jpg

While I wait for my Lurtz shield to dry, I cut out a Elven Brooch out of my scrap metal.

elvenbrooch3.jpg

I then added some wire to the brooch, and even a pin underneath. And I just painted the top. It will display good with my Lord of the Rings stuff and it sure beats spending $50+ on a pin! I may paint some silver around the edge of the leaf. The green I used is darker than the photos show, it's more of a emerald green like the NC version.

elvenbrooch2.jpg

elvenbrooch1.jpg

elvenbrooch4.jpg

Last edited:
The Elven Knife and Hanger looks good to me :)

Really Looking forward to seeing that Uruk Shield finished.

Very Crafty of you to bust out an elf brooch while ya wait :thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back