Hasbro 'Titanium' X-Wings

Mike J.

Master Member
Killing some time after lunch at Target today, I saw a Titanium series Red II. Looked decent, so I picked it up. I'd seen some of the other series and vehicles, and didn't bite until now. The seams on the Blockade Runner seemed harsher than they could have been. The X-wing, however, has it's 'seams' where the top & bottom of the fuselage meet, so it's fairly well disguised.

Biggs' Red II Photo

Red II Page

Luke's Red 5 Photo

Red 5 Product Page

The good news is this guy is held together by two screws. The wing cannons are press-fit, and not that soft rubbery plastic, either. The cannons are a little thick, but much better proportioned than previous releases (where they're about half as long and twice as thick).

After you take the screws out, everything else is press-fit. The fuselage separates into top & bottom halves, the wings (which do open and close) come out and separate into pairs (sliding off a metal axle), the front landing gear comes out (which it has, BTW - 3 landing legs that fold up into the body & engines), the cockpit tub pops out (no pilot) and then the canopy comes out.

This is engineered pretty well - so anyone who wanted to repaint it or retouch it (or switch parts around) can easily break it down into manageable pieces with no damage and easy reassembly.

My one problem is the length of the top pair of engines - the 'turkey feather' section is much longer than it should be. Also, the wells (where all the engine guts are, on the interior wing surfaces near the wing root) are not molded into the wings. Given the scale, I can live with that. Maybe just paint those areas dark. There are panel lines in that area to suggest the details.

The going rate is $4.99.

I plan to do a little retouching on mine. Paint-in the front engine intakes, for one thing. She'll look more realistic in a jiffy. Maybe lightly sand some of the painted markings for weathering. Do a new black wash or two.

I'd love to see somebody super-detail these :D

-Mike

Are the top engines too long?
Or the bottom too short?

The previous plastic micro machines from years ago had that same problem. Almost makes me wonder if they have to do it for licensing reasons or something.

I think the top ones are too long - the bottom pair look OK, and the models & screencaps suggest the same.

It might be a way for the assembly workers to tell the top from the bottom. That's my guess, anyway.

Dimensions:

Fuselage: 2 7/8 inches long (7.3 cm)

Wingspan: 2 5/8 inches (6.7 cm)

Frankly, the surface detail & paint job rival the best MicroMachines.

I believe Consumer Reports gave this a "Must Buy." :lol

-Mike

Supposedly the engines were different lengths because of fears the toy would be left on the floor standing on its engines, with a nice pointy nosecone sticking straight up in the air, just waiting for a tyke to trip and impale his skull upon it through the eye socket.

Supposedly the engines were different lengths because of fears the toy would be left on the floor standing on its engines, with a nice pointy nosecone sticking straight up in the air, just waiting for a tyke to trip and impale his skull upon it through the eye socket.

I've heard this story about both the new Titanium series X-wings and the older Micromachine ones.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back