Death Star Surface Tiles

@ Shizman
it's a bit tricky actually because I'm already having to reconsider how much the original tiles are, and with these ones, tiles like number 10 will use more than twice the resin of the other tiles (and so will also cost a lot more to post) but I hope I can still keep the price reasonable.
It's always hard to feel like your getting value for money when its scenery!!!!!

I think I'm just going to have to individually price the tiles, or even modules, and take it from there.

M

At the moment its about £50-£60 per foot square module.

Thats one expensive bit of real estate ;-)

m

Yeah its completely an ongoing thing, the moulds are there and if anyone wants something i'll cast it up :)

Like i said though, i just haven't moulded this module yet but the others, including the 3" ones, are still available.

M

Cheers Devin,

For filming they actually made THREE different sizes of module: 2' square 'low altitude', 1' square 'medium altitude', and 6" square 'high altitude'.
There were also some various 3" tiles made to put a bit of variation into the sets.

The smaller scale tiles were also mixed into the 'low altitude' sets, making the notion that these are of any real scale ridiculous.

The cleverest thing you see in the movie is when the fighters are making the approach into the trench; when the turbo lasers hit the screen and you get the flash, this is the transition point between the different scales, and they are pretty much a PERFECT match. Very impressive!

The tiles I'm doing are copies of the 'low altitude' tiles (the 6" tiles being half the scale of the studio tiles, and the 3" ones a quarter)

That means that if anyone ever does studio scale versions you could have an even more accurate Death Star than ILM!!!! ;O)

minifig

Thanks for the explanation. Altitude. Makes perfect sense! Well, the tiles look brilliant. Once I get back to my Fine Mold's 1/48th X-Wing build (I got side-tracked by another build for a client) I'll definitely be contacting you about some of them for a display base.

I really do love these and I know what I want to do with them but it really is a costly project and the lady is sensitive when it comes to money and my toys. I'm trying to convince her a trench run coffee table would be awesome but yeah no.

I'd like one of everything. Do you have the last set molded yet? Just deciding what to do with the sets of 3 inchers.

@Scott,

No I haven't moulded module 5 yet, I'm kind of trying to give everyone as much time as i can with the pricing on the older sets.

I'm about half way through module 4 at the moment so will probably mould them all when that ones done. Hope you can wait!!!!

I really wish that the postage wasn't so expensive, (especially when each module weighs about 2kg)!

minifig

Howdy y'all,

Module 4 is now finished!

Once again reference was a little thin, but a good 90% i think was positively ID'd, and also I think there might be some small details in some of the strong shadows of the reference photos that I just can't make out. :O(

I'll end up moulding these, as well as module 5, as soon as i've finished experimenting with hollow casting (and if its worth the extra effort) or if I two part mould some of the thicker tiles.

Here goes:

Module 4
bigModule4angled.jpg

big tile 13
bigtile13.jpg

big tile 14
bigtile14.jpg

big tile 15
bigtile15.jpg

big tile 16
bigtile16.jpg

minifig

These last tiles will be for sale soon, once I have done some more experimenting with rotocasting! The earlier modules are still available in the junkyard thread!

minifig

definitly digging these. I hope you continue and someday make the exaust port.

I have a project I'm working on that is creating a 1/144 scale section of the death Star for a game I'm developing. It's cost prohibitive to have resen tiles, plus the 3d nature of them makes it hard to place ships on. True "Top Down" imagry would be most helpful. However, that's a massive undertaking in of itself, as each peice would have to be photgraphed 4 times to have the correct shadow on each piece when it's rotated.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back