Handling metallic paint finishes (Alclad II, SnJ Spray Metal, Testor's Metallizer)

Yorpheus

Can metallic paint finishes using products like Alclad II, SnJ Spray Metal, Testor's Metallizer be handled without leaving fingerprints?

Re: Handling metallic paint finishes (Alclad II, SnJ Spray Metal, Testor's Metallizer

Alclad II is pretty robust, But I haven't used it on anything that is supposed to be handled often.
Assuming a good base coat, it won't fingerprint.

Re: Handling metallic paint finishes (Alclad II, SnJ Spray Metal, Testor's Metallizer

I was just trying to decide on a good paint to use for my fertility idol. I wanted the appearance of a cast gold piece. And I wanted to be able to pick it up and handle it when finished.

I used a rattle-can chrome spray on my 1:1 Barbarella raygun.
The longer you leave metallic paints- and Im talking weeks, not days, the better for the long term durability.

I had a test piece painted with AlClad chrome a week ago, and I've been handling it in different ways to see what happens tot he finish.

You can see fingerprints in it, but they are not permanent. It's much like handling a piece of real chrome. However, I have found that if you buff the surface with a soft cloth to remove the finger prints, a tiny bit of the finish comes off. Do this enough and you'll wear it down to the base coat. My test piece was a resin knife, and the handle area is showing a significant amount of wear on the edges.

Given this, AlClad is a wonderfull metalic finish as long as it's on areas or items that won't be handled often.

I've been using Testor's Buffing and Non buffing Metalizers, and I belive, once buffed and sealed, your're good to go. None of their bright chrome colors hold a candle to Alclad though.

Alclad has a sealer too, yes? It's been a while since I've used it.

I was just trying to decide on a good paint to use for my fertility idol. I wanted the appearance of a cast gold piece. And I wanted to be able to pick it up and handle it when finished.

maybe vaccum chroming?....
http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com/movies_etc__.htm

there is also something called "cosmic chrome" or "fanta chrome", perhaps they have a gold tinted product.

I once checked into the fanatchrome as it was being offered by a member here.
That same member let me know he had discontinued it's use as the process was flawed.

I'm also looking for a robust metallic paint for a resin lightsaber that I'm painting up. I'd like a good chrome-y finish, but it will be handled a lot as I'm planning on using it for costuming.

The Alclad II certainly seems to give the best finish, but it doesn't sound like it withstands a lot of touching.

I've been using Testor's Buffing and Non buffing Metalizers, and I belive, once buffed and sealed, your're good to go.
Unfortunately, the sealer mutes or eliminates the metallic effect in most cases. :unsure

I'm also looking for a robust metallic paint for a resin lightsaber that I'm painting up. I'd like a good chrome-y finish, but it will be handled a lot as I'm planning on using it for costuming.

The Alclad II certainly seems to give the best finish, but it doesn't sound like it withstands a lot of touching.

I've seen people post that you can seal AlClad with future floor wax, but the results seem 50/50.

Had a buddy in LA tell me that Duplicolor designed a clear laquer for the Chrome that seals it up and lets you be able to handle it without rubbing the finish off.

I'll be trying that tonight if it doesn't rain here, and will post my results.

Unfortunately, the sealer mutes or eliminates the metallic effect in most cases. :unsure

Oops, I meant using Future. Makes aluminum look real!

I'm interested in seeing the chrome stuff!!!

Anyone have any suggestions? I've primed some pieces with typical gray primer. I was thinking next of doing some sort of metalizing effect to the surface, then painting another shade of gray and weathering that with chalks and oils. Afterwards, I'd be gently sanding away some of the paint to reveal the nice metal finish underneath.

What would you guys suggest? This would mostly be used to accent parts of the model but other parts would be mostly the metal finish with a light misting of grey and weathering.

Some of my experiments using krylon for the metal didn't come out as good as I'd hoped for this effect.

Oops, I meant using Future. Makes aluminum look real!
Oh, that's different. I've never used Future because I've never owned an airbrush. I might have to get around to picking one up one of these days... :cool

Duplicolor has a very nice rattle can Chrome.
Its nice enough that I can see my eyelashes in the reflection.
I believe they also offer a Gold which I haven't tried but if its as good as the Chrome its a lot less expensive than Alclad.

Also have you considered a product called 'Bare Metal Foil'?
http://www.bare-metal.com/ 3 or 4 sheets of their '008 Gold' should be enough to cover a ROTLA fetility idol.

Oh, that's different. I've never used Future because I've never owned an airbrush. I might have to get around to picking one up one of these days... :cool

I hate my airbrushes, as they make me feel like a dentist, but once you start messing around with Future (now called Pledge w Future or something) you're hobby will get a nice level up. The tricks you can pull with clear parts dipped in Future are enough to make you go 'cooooollll.'

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. :thumbsup

Both Rustoleum & Krylon take weeks to dry for handling as previously said. The labels can say up to 48 Hrs but that is totally false, weeks is the real DRY OUT!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back