My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - (FINISHED PICS ADDED 10/25!!!)

AT-AT Luvah

Sr Member
Hello, all!

Okay, so this year I have decided to put together a Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' costume for my 4 year old son for Halloween.

I am putting a call out to seamstresses or costumers who would like to tackle the job. Please reply to this thread or PM me with a bid.

I would like it to be good looking, with decent material and able to hold up to a 4 year old's level of activity, but it does not have to be super high end. But I do need it to be sturdy. I had a jedi costume made for him 2 years ago and the inner tunic fell apart in less than one day!

I am thinking the jacket, the trousers, the shirt for the seamstress job.

I am also open to ideas on how to go about getting the belt, holster, and boots in his size.

I've seen other people help out with kids' costumes (a recent Indiana Jones costume comes to mind), so I am hopeful you guys can help me out here. I promise to post in progress pics as the costume comes together.

Thanks.

Hector

Last edited:
Re: Costumer/Seamstress Needed - Han Solo Costume for 4 Year Old - Halloween!

oh god

your not going to believe this ive just thrown one out, it had an accurate vest, white shirt and pants with bloodstripes it had a leather holster too

im sure that if you check ebay you can sometimes pick up the kids version of the blaster its orange but when i sprayed it up it looked really good.

if only you had posted this a few weeks ago......... im so sorry

ill try and dig out a picture

Idea for blood stripes on the pants -- Cut a stencil out of poster board and just paint them on. Save time trying to sewn everything.

Scott

Unbelievable supa troop. Thanks for not reading my mind a few weeks back. :lol

Just kidding of course.

Thanks, skaught, for the idea. I'm actually seriously considering that.

Hopefully somebody comes forward to offer their services.

Hector

Okay, I've found a seamstress who is going to make the jacket. I am going to source the pants and shirt myself. Any ideas on how to get the bloodstripes on easily?

I also found the perfect boots for him. They have child sizes, look great, and are inexpensive. Check them out:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produ...mmc=MSN Shopping-_-Shopping Feed-_-NA-_-15441

Still looking for somebody who can make the belt and holster. Anybody?

Another idea for the stripes -- cut out rectangles, sew up the edges if need be to keep them from fraying, and weave a ribbon in and out.

Scott

That's a great idea, Skaught, tho since I will be doing it, that might be beyond my skill level. I am leaning toward your painting and stencil idea. Thanks tho.

Still looking for somebody to do the gun belt and holster. I've tried over at TDH and nobody is replying. does nobody want the work and money?

I am looking for something simple, in the spirit of the original rig. No need for loops for droid caller and all the other doodads. Just the belt with buckles in front and back, the holster, and leg strap.

I need this for a four year old.

Anybody have any ideas on who I can turn to?

Those boots are perfect! I can't wait to see this finished!

Come on guys help him out!

EDIT: Try costumebase (On ebay) and see if they will make one.

Last edited:

Thanks, Tony. I can't wait to see it either. I finally got a reply back from a guy i found on the net - he is quoting me $200 for a stripped down no frills rig. Needless to say, this is not what I wanted to spend for just one element of the costume.

I am hoping to come in between $50 and $75. Are there any decent alternatives to leather?

Any other ideas out there for this piece? Whoda thunk that a Han Solo costume for a kid would be so difficult?

For guys like us...yes...everything has to be as perfect as possible. That's what makes you the coolest dad on the block! :thumbsup

Okay, it's been one month since I started this thread and how many items do I have for my son's costume at this point?

ZERO! NOTHING! NADA!

But I do have the seamstress making his jacket, I know where I'm going to buy the boots, and I FINALLY have the leather worker to make his holster. FINALLY. That was the hardest part to find.

He goes by 99centtaco and I found him over at the Dented Helmet forums. So all 3 major pieces of the costume are finally under construction.

Now I have to find a gun (have bid on several on eBay that have gone way above my ceiling for a plastic toy gun), his shirt, and his pants.

But it's starting to come together. My hope is that pics will be coming soon, even if all the elements are not yet complete.

Hector

Best thing for the gun is to repaint a Hasbro or Kenner toy. They fit kid's hands better and have sound. Repainted they can look pretty good. It won't be ESB specific but I don't know if that level of accuracy is what you are going for?

Consequently, that picture of the actual Bespin jacket has kind fo thrown my life in shambles. For 30 years I've thought it was blue.

The jacket looks kinda grey blue, but the flash in that picture might also be causing a misleading look to the fabric color.

Re: My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - IN PROGRESS!

If you still need a blaster, I've got a Kenner(?) battery op Solo water gun around here someplace that might work for you, PM if you're interested...

It's the ANH style in silverish grey plastic with orange scope caps, but if you want I'll even repaint it for you... :thumbsup

gunnerk19, that is so cool of you. i appreciate it.

however, another boardmember, ToolTech has already volunteered very graciously to send me his toy Han Solo Blaster for no charge.

Very awesome of everybody on this board to start pitching in.

I do appreciate the offer immensely though. Thank YOU!

Hector

Okay, FINALLY - AT LONG LAST. Some pictures!

LadySewForUs, the much-heralded seamstress extraordinaire from TDH has delivered in-progress pics of my son's Han Solo ESB jacket.

How awesome is this?!?

Way cool.

Hector

hansolojacket001.jpg

hansolojacket002.jpg

Re: My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - (PICS ADDED!)

One more thing - as anybody who has seen the Off Topic Forum thread - my son is worried that he won't be able to wear his costume because he recently broke his arm.

He got his permanent cast on Friday, the 19th and we were told he'd be in it for 6 to 8 weeks.

IF it comes off in 6 weeks, we'll JUST make it for Halloween night.

Ah the curveballs life can throw at you. I'll just have to figure out a way to make this special for him regardless.

Any thoughts?

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back