Metal Gear Solid Props - Guns, Gear and Gadgets

Made a wooden knife prop for an event this weekend at a public park (no gun or live steel props). Screenshot of the Play Arts Kai knife accessory was used as my main reference. Scaled to roughly 10" and then transferred to a section of Home Depot yardstick that I had on hand. I shaped it with a Dremel, beveling the blade edge and refining the shape. 2mm craft foam was layered onto the handle, and then the whole thing was quickly painted with a coat of PlastiDip and two coats of flat black.

The sheathe was 3 layers of 6mm craft foam, the middle layer having a recess for the knife. I used the Dremel to router the edge of the top layer, to give it that step-down look. Hot glued some velcro into a loop on the back; the loop is tilted so that the knife is tilted upwards, reducing the chance it may slip out.

knife0.jpg knife1.jpg knife2.jpg knife3.jpg

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask
But does anyone know the exact name of the uniform that Young Ocelot wears in MGS3? I see lots of people wearing it in cosplay but no one responds when I ask them.
Is its a custom thing, does anyone have a pattern?

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask
But does anyone know the exact name of the uniform that Young Ocelot wears in MGS3? I see lots of people wearing it in cosplay but no one responds when I ask them.
Is its a custom thing, does anyone have a pattern?

Thanks

For an Ocelot cotume, try googling a Russian Navy uniform for a major. https://www.google.ca/search?q=russ...sian+navy+major+uniform&imgrc=XErNOOmG--OCFM:

Russian Marines:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...d=0ahUKEwi-lr_PjM3JAhUE0mMKHbt8C_oQMwhAKBowGg

Here is a link to some guys who dress Russian for Airsoft and they might be a good resource
http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=25106.0

Also you could search GRU or Spetsnaz. To me, in MGS3, Ocelots uniform looks to be a standard Naval Major's suit with black military cut jodhpurs for trousers. You would also have to get the appropriate Rank/insignia shoulder boards to complete the look.

Hope that helps!

For an Ocelot cotume, try googling a Russian Navy uniform for a major. https://www.google.ca/search?q=russ...sian+navy+major+uniform&imgrc=XErNOOmG--OCFM:

Russian Marines:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...d=0ahUKEwi-lr_PjM3JAhUE0mMKHbt8C_oQMwhAKBowGg

Here is a link to some guys who dress Russian for Airsoft and they might be a good resource
http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=25106.0

Also you could search GRU or Spetsnaz. To me, in MGS3, Ocelots uniform looks to be a standard Naval Major's suit with black military cut jodhpurs for trousers. You would also have to get the appropriate Rank/insignia shoulder boards to complete the look.

Hope that helps!

thanks!
I've searched almost 10 hours not too long ago and found the same links you got me, but I can't find a way to purchase those naval suits, the merchants all show it but say its not available

Well, you may find an off-the-rack black suit jacket that's close. I put together a Captain Ramius (Sean Connery) costume for Halloween, and found an old Calvin Klein jacket on eBay that was close enough for my purposes. Very lucky.

It should help to use specific terms when searching (eBay, etc): double-breasted(?), epaulettes, material, etc.

The medals & epaulettes (shoulder boards), and collar tabs(?), if they're based on real ones, should be able to be found on eBay / Etsy / whatever.

Additionally, your local Army / Navy surplus store, second-hand clothing store, and local gun shows may have 'close' old military uniforms / medals, etc.

Try searching military Surplus sites in Europe as well especially former eastern block countries. Another good source is The Sportsmansguide.com. You might not get the exact thing but you can get a close approximation and with a little black dye, you are good to go.

Finally got the iDroid printed! It needs a few refinements, but so far, so good!

It installs from the top. There's a section of the top cover that can be removed so you can use headphones.

Here it is next to the version 1.5 test print(left).

Armament, that iDroid looks fantastic! Does your machine have two-color support or is the red painted on?

Also, I got the barrel for the Patriot and 3D Printed prototypes of the muzzle brake and gas block.
Patriot Barrel Assembly Mock Up 02.jpg
This is the second version of the gas block that is 0.15" longer to close the gap between the back of the brake and the front of the gas block. Once I am happy with the dimensions, these will be machined from 4140 and parkerized.

Nice design!

Thanks!

Armament, that iDroid looks fantastic! Does your machine have two-color support or is the red painted on?

Also, I got the barrel for the Patriot and 3D Printed prototypes of the muzzle brake and gas block.
View attachment 567997
This is the second version of the gas block that is 0.15" longer to close the gap between the back of the brake and the front of the gas block. Once I am happy with the dimensions, these will be machined from 4140 and parkerized.

Thanks! It was done with an Up Plus2 (single extruder), the parts are separate colors. Kinda wish I had some gray for the buttons & knobs.

Great work with the Patriot parts!

I'm a bit late to this, but I wanted to share a few MGS props/costumes I've made.

8EhSaNu.jpg YW62Rzb.jpg

I 3D printed this Solid Eye from MGS4. Working LED with on/off switch and elastic strap for comfort.

Original model here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:469891

F8Xk5pV.png

I made the venom snake arm before the release of the game and have worn it a few times since. Its a fun piece. Its made with EVA foam, I freehanded the pattern.

A16v1kJ.jpg SGdsLHi.jpg Gqbyb37.jpg X23hqeH.jpg

Here's my Genderbend Big Boss from MGS5. Snake/Big Boss is my favorite character, so I had to have one costume of it.

Hope you like it!

I don't think I ever posted images of the cardboard box I made for a cosplay picnic back last winter. I got the image from a twitter user named feriowind. Originally I was just going to use an image of Idol Paz, but when I found Idol Snake, I just HAD to use it. The back flap is loose, so that I can stand in the box to show off the decal. In fact, all the sides are loose; they're held together with velcro on the inside, so that when not in use I can fold it almost completely flat. It's currently stored under my couch.

AlexHalcyon.jpg DanteGarofani_5.jpg

I also got some new shots from Fanime 2016

13301411_473685902822073_8708838251688034178_o.jpg toshi02.jpg

I made the blue Guilty Butterfly rifle for my friend Fuu. It started out as a toy rifle from Walmart. I added foam to the butt to make it bigger/longer. I extended the barrel with PVC and made a silencer with a slightly wider PVC pipe and some fittings. The whole thing breaks down shorter for travel, going from about 2' when disassembled to 4' fully assembled.

13177612_986723258043234_4310052718535472304_n.jpg 13164357_986723268043233_5469456802302565321_n.jpg 13226880_988447201204173_8694336630789584874_n.jpg 13173277_989532437762316_5833723081560853389_o.jpg

See more at www.facebook.com/EffektedCosplay !

So...here are all the Metal Gear fans !!! I recently obtained a SOCOM mk23 for David Hayter and he displayed it on his twitter account. I met him a few weeks ago at C2E2 here in Chicago and it was a real pleasure...what a great guy! At any rate...the beginning of this post showed off this IMG_6328.JPGIMG_5887.PNG ery same pistol and since I have an obsession with that gun, here are a few of mine. The red one I call the Cold War edition, the tiger stripe one I call the Big Boss edition...David Hayter really liked that one but he chose black...it goes with the decor of his office I gifted him this gun on behalf of all of us 50 million worldwide Metal Gear Solid fans in appreciation for his epic contribution, to that great video game franchise. Check out his twitter feed, and on YouTube to see an interview on twitch tv where he talks about me giving him this gun...

Attachments

• IMG_5827.PNG
    IMG_5827.PNG
    4.1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5844.PNG
    IMG_5844.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5831.PNG
    IMG_5831.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 153
Absolutely beautiful work, itsgreg. Best Solid Eye I've seen by far. The one I put together pales in comparison, haha. I love the Philanthropy logo detail you did for the back, too!

Also, it's been forever since I last checked this thread, so looking back at all the latest stuff people have made is positively amazing.https://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=176019

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back